[SOLVED] Stuck in Automatic Repair Loop

Bannable

Honorable
Jun 13, 2017
Hello! As the title suggests, I'm stuck in an automatic repair boot loop. I have two computers which are in different locations. For simplicity, I will call one of the hard drives hard drive a and the other hard drive b. Hard drive A had been functioning fine in my computer, but I brought it with me to boot onto at my computer in the other location. Hard drive B was installed in this computer and was functioning fine until there was a power outage, at which point the computer turned off and I didn't get to see if there were any problems until last night. When I got to this computer and tried to launch onto hard drive B, I was stuck in an automatic repair loop. This hard drive had no data on it that I cared about, so it didn't worry me. I then attempted to launch onto hard drive a, but I was also stuck in an automatic repair loop. This concerned me, as I have data on there that I care about and it was functioning on my other computer only a few hours prior. I wiped hard drive b and reinstalled windows on it so I could have a computer to use while I work on fixing the other windows installation. In the end, I would like to move back onto hard drive A and have the windows installation repaired, but I cannot find a solution. I will provide a list of everything I have tried:
Clearing CMOS
Turning off secure boot
SFC /scannow
Attempting to reset windows and keep files (says it cannot reset)
chkdsk
bootrec (a few of the bootrec commands say access denied, which I cannot fix)
Starting PC in safe mode (unable to start in safe mode)
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth (gives an error)
Now, when I try to launch that drive, it gives an error code 0xc000007b. I thought I would make a post on here before I attempt installing third-party software to repair the windows installation. I would appreciate any assistance or recommendations any of you could give.

Solution
Can't normally boot into another computers windows installation, the system components are just too different.

Boot up into recovery again and select command prompt, type notepad then got to file>open>computer and select your disk with the broken windows installation and navigate to users, from there you can access your files and transfer them over to another/external storage device. Sometimes you might have to take ownership of the folders to gain access.

Also sometimes booting off a seperate windows installation media disc/USB drive will allow you to complete repairs where the built in repair partition will not.

crazyal

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Can't normally boot into another computers windows installation, the system components are just too different.

Boot up into recovery again and select command prompt, type notepad then got to file>open>computer and select your disk with the broken windows installation and navigate to users, from there you can access your files and transfer them over to another/external storage device. Sometimes you might have to take ownership of the folders to gain access.

Also sometimes booting off a seperate windows installation media disc/USB drive will allow you to complete repairs where the built in repair partition will not.

Solution