Question Stuck in Automatic Repair mode (READ)

minomehed

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
Booting up my PC goes through the following screens:

"Preparing automatic repair"

"Diagnosing your PC"

"Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete."(only last for a minute)

And then my computer shuts off, no automatic restart or anything.

I dont even know how im supposed to go into Window recovery environment from here since I dont get the Advanced options screen

minomehed

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
No, in your bios you are given the choice (sometimes it's automatic) to boot from Legacy or UEFI. UEFI is a replacement for BIOS, but hardware needs to catch up so there is also a Legacy mode.
OK i was asking because i was able to go into Recovery environment mode when i booted from it.

After i choose repair what do i do

minomehed

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
When i go to the command prompt it says X:\Sources>

And when i type chkdsk /f it says "This type of the file system is NTFS.

Cannot lock current drive
Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected."

This means your windows system files are not on the C: drive. If you don't know what drive your Windows system files are on do the following .At the commend prompt, enter diskpart, then enter list volume Observed the volume list. Identify the drive letter that associates with Windows installation. type: chkdsk <drive letter:> / f / r / x, then press enter

Last edited:
May 2, 2019
This means your windows system files are not on the C: drive.

Onespeedbiker, i am sorry but i have to correct that, no offense intended;

The recovery mode is booting from a WIM (an image format, that stores a bootable filesystem), precisely WinRE.WIM. The RE(Recovery Environment) is load into RAM, you can tell, because the drive letter is X. This is the default for the Windows Recovery Environment. This is intended, so that the Windows-Installation to recover is able to be assigned the letter C, as you for sure know is the standard drive-letter for Windows.

Nonetheless, your advice was absolutely correct, the error was simply assuming that using chkdsk or similar tools without a drive-letter will automatically use the partition the drive-letter C is assigned to. It does not, because the actual System is itself mounted to drive-letter X, so chkdsk uses X in this case; which is why Minomehed got the printout:

This type of the file system is NTFS.

Cannot lock current drive
Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.

.. means simply that the actual system, the Windows Recovery Environment, which was loaded into RAM, is mounted Read-Only, so that it can work even when the HDD it was booted from, has to be replaced. X is a RAM-disk.

---

Hope it helps. I am sure. Thanks for reading.

minomehed

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
This means your windows system files are not on the C: drive. If you don't know what drive your Windows system files are on do the following .At the commend prompt, enter diskpart, then enter list volume Observed the volume list. Identify the drive letter that associates with Windows installation. type: chkdsk <drive letter:> / f / r / x, then press enter
Onespeedbiker, i am sorry but i have to correct that, no offense intended;

The recovery mode is booting from a WIM (an image format, that stores a bootable filesystem), precisely WinRE.WIM. The RE(Recovery Environment) is load into RAM, you can tell, because the drive letter is X. This is the default for the Windows Recovery Environment. This is intended, so that the Windows-Installation to recover is able to be assigned the letter C, as you for sure know is the standard drive-letter for Windows.

Nonetheless, your advice was absolutely correct, the error was simply assuming that using chkdsk or similar tools without a drive-letter will automatically use the partition the drive-letter C is assigned to. It does not, because the actual System is itself mounted to drive-letter X, so chkdsk uses X in this case; which is why Minomehed got the printout:

.. means simply that the actual system, the Windows Recovery Environment, which was loaded into RAM, is mounted Read-Only, so that it can work even when the HDD it was booted from, has to be replaced. X is a RAM-disk.

---

Hope it helps. I am sure. Thanks for reading.

After running chkdsk f: / f / r / x an error occurs at Stage 2: Examining file name linkage

The error is: "An unspecified error has occurred (6672732e637878 5e0).
Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50."

What now? What is happening

Basically there is some serious corruption of your hard drive, which may be a failing and there is no fix I know of. Hopefully you have backed up your personal files. If not, and your hard drive is not physically damaged, you will be able to do a clean install of windows 10, as Windows will create a file C:\ Windows.old which will contain all your old files. Nonetheless, even if you complete a clean windows install, there is still the possibility your hard drive is going to fail, so I would copy the windows.old file onto a USB drive (this file will be very large, at least 80g or more depending on the combined size of personal files, and look to replace your current drive or if it applies, send your computer back in for a warranty replacement.

May 2, 2019
As Onespeedbiker already wrote - and nailed it right on point with that - using CHKDSK to scan the system drive for errors regarding folders, files, metadata and hardware-integrity is the first step, although it is not required, you are best served with it, as it may extremely narrow down potential issues.

As i noted before - and i hope Onespeedbiker doesn't feel offended by it - you have to explicitely call CHKDSK with the drive-letter followed by a colon, further followed by the arguments for the options you want.

Just in case you are not aware, if you want to know what the options do Onespeedbiker appended to the proposed CHKDSK command, you can find out by:

CHKDSK /?

.. this is not specific to CHKDSK, but available to almost all Windows Internals and considered a standard when it comes to recommended guidelines when programming applications for use with the CMD-shell; the argument /? is to show the help for a command.

CHKDSK C: /F /R /X

.. will do the following:

1. C:
CHKDSK will use the partition which is mounted as and accessible via the drive-letter C.

2. /F
Fixes errors on the disk.

3. /R
Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /F, when /scan not specified).

4. /X
Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary. All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid (implies /F).

If you have just entered the Recovery Environment and haven't done anything else yet, you should be fine with just:

CHKDSK C: /I /C

This will not do make changes to the system-drive mounted as C:, but it will printout information it collected from the scan. The arguments added will do:

1. /I
NTFS only: Performs a less vigorous check of index entries.

2. /C
NTFS only: Skips checking of cycles within the folder structure.

This is fine, because we know that the partition Windows is installed on has to be formatted as NTFS; The arguments /I and /C will reduce the time significantly, the more, the bigger the partition is and the more applications are installed.

===

The following - exemplary call of CHKDSK C: /I /C is the output of the command, so you can see what will happen:

X:\Windows\sources>CHKDSK C: /I /C
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is A6E-MWNXLCDES66-DEU.

WARNING! /F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

WARNING! /I parameter specified.
WARNING! /C parameter specified.
Your drive may still be corrupt even after running CHKDSK.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
174080 file records processed.
File verification completed.
14581 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
238133 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.
0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
95 reparse records processed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.
24101 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
37754768 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

24418390 KB total disk space.
16037371 KB in 91911 files.
61284 KB in 24102 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
290970 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
8028764 KB available on disk.

512 bytes in each allocation unit.
48836781 total allocation units on disk.
16057529 allocation units available on disk.

===

The reason why i usually go this way is because - in case the drive has hardware-errors - CHKDSK /I /C won't try to correct errors found in files, folders, metadata and journal; If there is a hardware-error, this can end in the final blow. If you are sure that the hardware is in fact fine, sure you can ignore the step proposed before and instead call:

CHKDSK C: /I /C /F /R /L:45 /B /X /scan /forceofflinefix /perf /offlinescanandfix

1. /I

2. /C

3. /F

4. /R
Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /F, when /scan not specified).

5. /L:SIZE
NTFS only: Changes the log file size to the specified number of kilobytes. If size is not specified, displays current size.

6. /B
NTFS only: Re-evaluates bad clusters on the volume (implies /R)

7. /X
Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary. All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid (implies /F).

8. /scan
NTFS only: Runs an online scan on the volume

9. /forceofflinefix
NTFS only: (Must be used with "/scan") Bypass all online repair; all defects found are queued for offline repair (i.e. "chkdsk /spotfix").

10. /perf
NTFS only: (Must be used with "/scan") Uses more system resources to complete a scan as fast as possible. This may have a negative performance impact on other tasks running on the system.

11. /offlinescanandfix
Runs an offline scan and fix on the volume.

This actually is the most minimized number and depth of scans possible to still do the most of necessary and|or optimizing corrections in a safe way.

As it is already a heap to take in - i assume - let me just add one note regarding the argument:

/L:45

.. 45 in here stays for 45 KiB = 46080 Bytes; As it is almost always asked by most people having had no experience until then with CHKDSK, let me explain why this option is a useful addition:

The Windows Recovery Environment has - identical to Windows itself- NOTEPAD.EXE included. NOTEPAD.EXE, registered as the standard editor for all datafiles of textual format, is limited in representing files of maximum 45 KiB in size. To stay backwards compatible NOTEPAD.EXE still does not have a check implemented that would hinder it from opening files larger than 45 KiB. So setting the Log-file-size to a fixed 45 KiB will allow to open the Log-file under any circumstances, even in the worst case if only Windows 1.0 would be available.
Another reason is, setting the size to 45 KiB will guarantee to prevent that the NT-File-System will try storing the file into the MFT, due to its internal pre-optimization it would do that, because of the minimal amount of data effectively written to the file. This is another safeguard, so even if you would have defective hardware - whereas the defect haven't been recognized in the scan before - the file can still be accessed, for as it actually will be stored as a file with an exact size of 45 KiB.
That way it can be found by a forensic software, restored and accessed. This is possible due to the fact, that we also commanded to reevaluate bad sectors, meaning the file will be stored on a healthy part of the disks surface.

For those that are overwhelmed by the flood of information, here again the 2 steps, i recommend when it comes to CHKDSK

1. CHKDSK C: /I /C

2. CHKDSK C: /I /C /F /R /L:45 /B /X /scan /forceofflinefix /perf /offlinescanandfix

This is in no way a necessity and can surely be seen as overkill. I - personally - just prefer to maximize the efficiency of simple, regular, yet finely configurable commands, in a way that the outcome can be calculated and planned due to guaranteed and predictable performance.

---

Hope it helps. Someone. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

minomehed

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
Basically there is some serious corruption of your hard drive, which may be a failing and there is no fix I know of. Hopefully you have backed up your personal files. If not, and your hard drive is not physically damaged, you will be able to do a clean install of windows 10, as Windows will create a file C:\ Windows.old which will contain all your old files. Nonetheless, even if you complete a clean windows install, there is still the possibility your hard drive is going to fail, so I would copy the windows.old file onto a USB drive (this file will be very large, at least 80g or more depending on the combined size of personal files, and look to replace your current drive or if it applies, send your computer back in for a warranty replacement.
As Onespeedbiker already wrote - and nailed it right on point with that - using CHKDSK to scan the system drive for errors regarding folders, files, metadata and hardware-integrity is the first step, although it is not required, you are best served with it, as it may extremely narrow down potential issues.

As i noted before - and i hope Onespeedbiker doesn't feel offended by it - you have to explicitely call CHKDSK with the drive-letter followed by a colon, further followed by the arguments for the options you want.

Just in case you are not aware, if you want to know what the options do Onespeedbiker appended to the proposed CHKDSK command, you can find out by:

CHKDSK /?

.. this is not specific to CHKDSK, but available to almost all Windows Internals and considered a standard when it comes to recommended guidelines when programming applications for use with the CMD-shell; the argument /? is to show the help for a command.

CHKDSK C: /F /R /X

.. will do the following:

1. C:
CHKDSK will use the partition which is mounted as and accessible via the drive-letter C.

2. /F

3. /R

4. /X

If you have just entered the Recovery Environment and haven't done anything else yet, you should be fine with just:

CHKDSK C: /I /C

This will not do make changes to the system-drive mounted as C:, but it will printout information it collected from the scan. The arguments added will do:

1. /I

2. /C

This is fine, because we know that the partition Windows is installed on has to be formatted as NTFS; The arguments /I and /C will reduce the time significantly, the more, the bigger the partition is and the more applications are installed.

===

The following - exemplary call of CHKDSK C: /I /C is the output of the command, so you can see what will happen:

X:\Windows\sources>CHKDSK C: /I /C
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is A6E-MWNXLCDES66-DEU.

WARNING! /F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

WARNING! /I parameter specified.
WARNING! /C parameter specified.
Your drive may still be corrupt even after running CHKDSK.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
174080 file records processed.
File verification completed.
14581 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
238133 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.
0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
95 reparse records processed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.
24101 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
37754768 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

24418390 KB total disk space.
16037371 KB in 91911 files.
61284 KB in 24102 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
290970 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
8028764 KB available on disk.

512 bytes in each allocation unit.
48836781 total allocation units on disk.
16057529 allocation units available on disk.

===

The reason why i usually go this way is because - in case the drive has hardware-errors - CHKDSK /I /C won't try to correct errors found in files, folders, metadata and journal; If there is a hardware-error, this can end in the final blow. If you are sure that the hardware is in fact fine, sure you can ignore the step proposed before and instead call:

CHKDSK C: /I /C /F /R /L:45 /B /X /scan /forceofflinefix /perf /offlinescanandfix

1. /I

2. /C

3. /F

4. /R

5. /L:SIZE
NTFS only: Changes the log file size to the specified number of kilobytes. If size is not specified, displays current size.

6. /B
NTFS only: Re-evaluates bad clusters on the volume (implies /R)

7. /X

8. /scan
NTFS only: Runs an online scan on the volume

9. /forceofflinefix
NTFS only: (Must be used with "/scan") Bypass all online repair; all defects found are queued for offline repair (i.e. "chkdsk /spotfix").

10. /perf
NTFS only: (Must be used with "/scan") Uses more system resources to complete a scan as fast as possible. This may have a negative performance impact on other tasks running on the system.

11. /offlinescanandfix
Runs an offline scan and fix on the volume.

This actually is the most minimized number and depth of scans possible to still do the most of necessary and|or optimizing corrections in a safe way.

As it is already a heap to take in - i assume - let me just add one note regarding the argument:

/L:45

.. 45 in here stays for 45 KiB = 46080 Bytes; As it is almost always asked by most people having had no experience until then with CHKDSK, let me explain why this option is a useful addition:

The Windows Recovery Environment has - identical to Windows itself- NOTEPAD.EXE included. NOTEPAD.EXE, registered as the standard editor for all datafiles of textual format, is limited in representing files of maximum 45 KiB in size. To stay backwards compatible NOTEPAD.EXE still does not have a check implemented that would hinder it from opening files larger than 45 KiB. So setting the Log-file-size to a fixed 45 KiB will allow to open the Log-file under any circumstances, even in the worst case if only Windows 1.0 would be available.
Another reason is, setting the size to 45 KiB will guarantee to prevent that the NT-File-System will try storing the file into the MFT, due to its internal pre-optimization it would do that, because of the minimal amount of data effectively written to the file. This is another safeguard, so even if you would have defective hardware - whereas the defect haven't been recognized in the scan before - the file can still be accessed, for as it actually will be stored as a file with an exact size of 45 KiB.
That way it can be found by a forensic software, restored and accessed. This is possible due to the fact, that we also commanded to reevaluate bad sectors, meaning the file will be stored on a healthy part of the disks surface.

For those that are overwhelmed by the flood of information, here again the 2 steps, i recommend when it comes to CHKDSK

1. CHKDSK C: /I /C

2. CHKDSK C: /I /C /F /R /L:45 /B /X /scan /forceofflinefix /perf /offlinescanandfix

This is in no way a necessity and can surely be seen as overkill. I - personally - just prefer to maximize the efficiency of simple, regular, yet finely configurable commands, in a way that the outcome can be calculated and planned due to guaranteed and predictable performance.

---

Hope it helps. Someone. Thanks for reading.
Well i just found my Windows ssd drive is now in RAW format...Dont know if that changes anything

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
The problem you are having is the same problem i had when i tried to access my 6 years old harddisk, it was giving the exact same error but mine just kept restarting, so only fix i found is to format it and reinstall windows.

If you didn't backup your data, just use some kind of a recovery tool to get your files back.
Your windows might be corrupted as well, and i don't think there is any fix.

May 2, 2019
Well i just found my Windows ssd drive is now in RAW format...Dont know if that changes anything

Whats the actual status? Try to describe as detailed as possible. For example how did you come to the conclusion you found your SSD in RAW format? That would made necessary you have a way to actually access the disk with a Windows System, right?

You have to know unless you are not saving new information to the disk, your data is still there. From one moment to another finding a partition in RAW-mode is for example a given, when - due to whatever reason - the partition ID|GUID was changed. For example by Windows Automatic repair, that misinterpreted a partition (thousand possible reasons) and decided it switches it from 06 to 05 on a MBR disk. That would be the case if the system was normally started via UEFI, but last boot into Automatic Repair was done via CSM|Legacy BIOS Compatible Mode.

Stay calm.

Make notes.

Give a detailed report of what you have done and what you have considered to do do, but not done yet.

To rip a SSD into sheds - sorry, no you have no way to achieve that - you would have to write random data in and out for about a year or two.

See, it's easy; If you want help, you'll get it. The price to pay is stay focused and be pragmatic. If you have no experience, it's okay, just say so and the help will be customized to your skill set.

It is your decision. If you decide to throw the towel, it's on you. Ask for help and you will get it.

Key to success is knowing what you're doing, and if you don't .. then try to understand. For what you do not understand, you can ask for an explanation. Simple as that.

You have to make a choice:

A) Do you want your problem solved?

.. Or ..

B) Do you want to turn your machine into a frisbee?

Your choice ...

---

Hope it helps. Well, it will if you want to. Thanks for reading.

Basically the virtual structure of your hard drive has collapsed. meaning it's ability to boot up an operating system and be a platform for your application is gone. It's very likely many of your personal files can be recovered using recovery software like Recuva; which is free BTW, for most recoveries. However the more you mess with the drive, the less possibility you will be able to recover any data. Just because the hard drive has collapsed, does not mean it has failed, you may be able to re-partition and format the drive and install Windows again, however the fact it collapsed is an indication that it has, or is in the process of failing. IOW, recover what you can from the drive if necessary and replace it, or you may be going through the same mess in a couple of weeks if not sooner.

Reactions: iMatty
May 2, 2019
Basically the virtual structure of your hard drive has collapsed. meaning it's ability to boot up an operating system and be a platform for your application is gone. It's very likely many of your personal files can be recovered using recovery software like Recuva; which is free BTW, for most recoveries. However the more you mess with the drive, the less possibility you will be able to recover any data. Just because the hard drive has collapsed, does not mean it has failed, you may be able to re-partition and format the drive and install Windows again, however the fact it collapsed is an indication that it has, or is in the process of failing. IOW, recover what you can from the drive if necessary and replace it, or you may be going through the same mess in a couple of weeks if not sooner.

Sorry, really .. sorry .. but:

NO.

That is simply not true.

"Basically the virtual structure of your hard drive has collapsed"?

What virtual structure? Do you mean the partition-tables? Yes -tables ... Plural.

If the disk was initialized as GPT, then all it takes is downloading GPTFDisk, execute it to repair the 'collapsed' disk, by restoring the partition table from the 2nd partition table.

Done.

If it was initialized as MBR, use AOMEI Partiton Assistant Free, then select the disk and choose to restore the disk.

Done.

That does not repair your Windows, well you may do so if you want it to do automatically, but thats another story.

First you have to know WHAT you want to achieve.

Recovery of data? Okay, yeah, you could use Recuva by Piriform, but it works only if the partition table is in fact healthy and asides that Recuva is only able to find - not restore - specific file-headers and meta-tags; specific means a limited set of file-types, for example .JPG or .PNG, as these are compressed image-files, which are in use by almost any person that has ever used a digital camera, a screenshot program, or has received those files, e.g. to use it as wallpaper or print it out.

If you wish to truly scan and restore anything and everything that there is to find: Then there is only one option: its name is Photorec.

Done.

Whatever you do, you have to DECIDE first, because if you do one of these steps, you are effectively actively changing the reality, meaning, these are potentially destructive operations, meaning:

Know what you want.

Know what you don't.

Ask for help.

Help will be given.

Done.

===

I really don't get it. Where does this totally depressive manner come from to doom all right from the start. It seems the more performant and costy the tech, the more dumbfunded the actions. And ...

No. I do not try to provoke. It is a serious malicious behavior. And the most troublesome is, that the only person who will be hurt is the one that makes decision based on that doomed view.

It's okay stay assured, i won't try to offer help the fourth time. Feel free to ask for it. If all that is required to be of help is given, i'll do my best. What i listed here are 3 Solutions to 3 possible problems. That's all there is to it. To learn how and why it is that simple, takes 10 minutes using your favorite search-machine, 10 minutes reading and another 10 minutes understanding it.

Done.

---

Hope it helps. Even those who can't be helped. Thanks for reading.

minomehed

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019

NO.

That is simply not true.

What virtual structure? Do you mean the partition-tables? Yes -tables ... Plural.

If the disk was initialized as GPT, then all it takes is downloading GPTFDisk, execute it to repair the 'collapsed' disk, by restoring the partition table from the 2nd partition table.

Done.

If it was initialized as MBR, use AOMEI Partiton Assistant Free, then select the disk and choose to restore the disk.

Done.

That does not repair your Windows, well you may do so if you want it to do automatically, but thats another story.

Recovery of data? Okay, yeah, you could use Recuva by Piriform, but it works only if the partition table is in fact healthy and asides that Recuva is only able to find - not restore - specific file-headers and meta-tags; specific means a limited set of file-types, for example .JPG or .PNG, as these are compressed image-files, which are in use by almost any person that has ever used a digital camera, a screenshot program, or has received those files, e.g. to use it as wallpaper or print it out.

If you wish to truly scan and restore anything and everything that there is to find: Then there is only one option: its name is Photorec.

Done.

Whatever you do, you have to DECIDE first, because if you do one of these steps, you are effectively actively changing the reality, meaning, these are potentially destructive operations, meaning:

Know what you want.

Know what you don't.

Ask for help.

Help will be given.

Done.

===

I really don't get it. Where does this totally depressive manner come from to doom all right from the start. It seems the more performant and costy the tech, the more dumbfunded the actions. And ...

No. I do not try to provoke. It is a serious malicious behavior. And the most troublesome is, that the only person who will be hurt is the one that makes decision based on that doomed view.

It's okay stay assured, i won't try to offer help the fourth time. Feel free to ask for it. If all that is required to be of help is given, i'll do my best. What i listed here are 3 Solutions to 3 possible problems. That's all there is to it. To learn how and why it is that simple, takes 10 minutes using your favorite search-machine, 10 minutes reading and another 10 minutes understanding it.

Done.

---

Ok...Theres a lot to go through

I found out my SSD is raw cause i used the diskpart list volumes command in the command prompt within Windows Recovery Environment mode. The drive in question was shown as RAW here.

Ideally what i am trying to accomplish is to restore my SSD into how it was before all of this started happening without having to format...But apparently that isnt an option anymore from what ive read.

So if i have to format my SSD then i will have to perform Data recovery. I will look into Photorec but i hope it doesnt only recover Photos like the name implies because I have many important RBX files on my SSD that need to be restored.

working

NO.

That is simply not true.

Done.

Done.

Done.

Know what you want.

Know what you don't.

Ask for help.

Help will be given.

Done.

===

Done.

---

Okay, let's just replace the words "virtual file system" with "partition tables" and move on. One could spend days just trying to decipher what you wrote and trying to save their hard drive. The fact is while you seem to look at computers and operating with an esoteric worldview, most would rather pay $100 for a new SSD and get on with life (this is not depressive manner or negative world view, just reality for most). Hopefully the OP will be able to recover his personal files, but getting his computer up and running in an expeditious manner also seems a priority. Again, this is in no way criticism (your knowledge of computers appears to be voluminous) and I don't in any way want to be argumentative, I'm simply relating my personal view point. At this point I think the OP has enough information to make an educated decision on how to proceed, so I'm bowing out. "Good Luck Jim" :)

Okay one more thing, I have used Partition Master Pro, which has a free version and a trail of the paid version. Within the program is a utility to restore a partition (other programs have the same option). Whether it will work or not I don't know, but it is worth a try.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS