Question Stuck in BIOS

Feb 25, 2019
Hi there.
I have a. Schenker XMG A704, Windows 8.1 Pro.

Everything was running smoothly, until the machine went into hibernation.

Upon waking up, instead of loading the OS, BIOS loaded. This has happened on a couple of occasions before, and I don’t remember how, but I managadd to boot the OS on those occasions.

On this occasion however, there are no boot options. The BIOS sees the hard drive and the DVD drive, but there is nothing in the options that would allow me to select where to boot from. On start up there are only 2 keys that can be pressed it seems - F7, which states ‘boot options’ - however when selected, no boot options are shown, and one can only enter BIOS setup. F2 takes one directly into BIOS set up. In the set up itself, the only boot option is ‘Boot From UEFI’ when selecting that, it shows that theoltion is disable and it’s not possible to change. I also tried resetting the bios config to factory settings but it didn’t help. Finally I i serted recovery DVD but again there was no option that allowed me to load from it.

Any suggestions?
Logically I think I have only three options
  1. Somehow update the bios without access to OS (I don’t know how and any suggestions are welcome)
  2. get a new motherboard
Not looking good :/

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/HbXvfti

Last edited:
Does your main storage drive show up in the BIOS setup? It should show up under UEFI (Boot) and somewhere under "Main." Your OS drive might have an intermittent failure.

You shouldn't need to update the BIOS for this kind of issue, but if you want to, you most likely can do so from a USB stick (check with your seller, XMG, for specifics).

Feb 25, 2019
Thank you for the response

The main drive (SSD) is seen on 4th picture - Sata port 0. It does not appear anywhere else. Does the fact that it shows up rule out hard drive failire?

Also if it was the hard drive, I thought I’d be able to boot from the DVD - but I can’t!

I will test with a new drive today, but if you have any other suggestions as to possible causes I’d love to hear them.

Didn't notice there were slides to scroll through. :eek::giggle:

That's a good start. I see UEFI boot is disabled, even though you're running Windows 8.1. Has that always been the case? Usually UEFI is required for Win 8 and Win 10. Try enabling it, if you're unsure. UEFI might also have something to do with you not being able to boot from your recovery DVD, either (assuming it's bootable to begin with).