Stuck in Boot Cycle

ollyfff

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Recently i got a new case and finished transfering all of my parts and connecting everything when i learned that my computer was no longer functioning properly. It starts up normally, CPU fan starts to spin and the Mobo lights all come on, but then it shuts down in about 5 seconds and quickly restarts this process. I cant even get it to post or even show anything on the monitor.

I have tried providing power to only the motherboard + CPU and kept 1 stick of RAM yet it doesnt show any different results. I also have put everything on a plastic table to prevent from shorting. My PSU is also outputting the correct amount of power too.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what may be wrong? At this point im considering purchasing a new motherboard because i havent been able to find any help. Thanks in advanced.

System:

Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD65
CPU: Intel i5 2500k
GPU: Nvidia 560ti
PSU: Antec HCG-750 750W

Solution
At this point because you have tried just about everything you should call the tech support of the board and start a support ticket, and that will be for two reasons. You will need a support ticket to do a RMA and you can ask the tech support some questions on testing the board to see if it's beyond help and needs to go in for repair .

binarycpu

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

Some things you might want to look for:

Are all the components seated correctly?
Is there anything on the motherboard loose that could be shorting?
Have you plugged back in ALL the power connections (motherboard + processor power connections)
Have you tried this without the GPU (Just onboard graphics without GPU card installed)
Have you tried resetting the CMOS (Reset CMOS - see: Reset your CMOS) Generally resetting the CMOS is the last thing you wish to do, but could be the fix you need.

Hope this is a helpful starting point.

What you can do is remove the ram and video card and try to start with just the cpu to see if you can force a beep code. If that don't work then shut down remove all the cables from the MB and the remove the cmos battery and take a screw driver and touch the two start pins on the MB for about 10 sec to clear the caps.
Then put the mos battery back in and the main MB power connector and the cpu power connector , one stick of ram in the first slot closest to the cpu socket and the video card. Then see if it'll start. If the MB has dual bios then you can try to use the other bios chip and see if that works.

ollyfff

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
@Inzone

Couldnt force a beep.
Im curious what two start pins youre referring to. If it is the two pins that allow you to turn the PC on and off then i tried that and was unable to get a different result. Im relatively sure my motherboard has a Dual Bios, but i see nothing in my MB booklet about a chip to switch it (infact it doesnt even say how to use it).

The only reason I suggested the two pins and the screw driver is because I thought the MB was still out of the case and not coonected to the start button. If the board was in the case then the start button would be pushed for 10 sec to release the caps.
If you had dual bios then it would be in the owners manual.

ollyfff

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Ah, ok. My motherboard has a built in powerbutton which works the same, i was just making sure there wasnt another pair of pins i was getting confused with.

Also, my manual doesnt list anything about the Dual Bios beyond the LED that signifies its status. Do you have any idea how i can switch to the other bios? Im not even able to find this basic info in a google search.

Also. when transferring it to a new case a few of the screws went on relatively tight and destroyed a small amount of the protective metal dabs around the screw holes. Is it possible that something related to this is shorting the board?

Probably not since I'm sure they don't run any thing too close to the screw holes for that reason. I didn't know if your board has the dual bios I was only stating that if it did you could switch to the other bios chip and a lot ob times it's done by a jumper setting which the instructions wouyld be in the manual.

ollyfff

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
So at this point its most likely a faulty motherboard? I dont see how that could have happened by simply transferring cases. Are there any fail-safe ways to test a bad mobo?

At this point because you have tried just about everything you should call the tech support of the board and start a support ticket, and that will be for two reasons. You will need a support ticket to do a RMA and you can ask the tech support some questions on testing the board to see if it's beyond help and needs to go in for repair .

Solution