Question Stuck in bootloop after installing video drivers/windows update

Dec 16, 2020
Current specs:
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • FE 3060ti
  • Asrock b450m pro4
  • Evga 750w GQ gold
  • 2x8GB Corsair vengeance lpx black 3600mhz
Problem started when playing cyberpunk; it had been working fine for a few days until it crashed as soon as it opened last night. I restarted my pc and got into the game fine, then my whole pc crashed and auto restarted. When it turned back on it said it was installing a Windows update. I got back in fine and played cyberpunk for 20 mins until the pc crashed and got stuck in a boot loop. It would reach bios, have a black screen, then reboot. Once or twice it reached my sign in screen, but the pc crashed before I could sign in.

I tried:
  • Auto repair (said it couldn't fix the problem)
  • Chkdsk in CMD in the recovery menu (no bad sectors detected)
  • A system restore (didn't work)
  • Resetting (wouldn't work in the windows recovery menu)
  • Uninstalling windows quality and feature updates (said it wasn't possible in the recovery menu)
  • SFC /scannow in CMD in the recovery menu (wouldn't work, said windows resource protection wasn't allowing it or something along those lines
Once or twice there was a BSOD after the black screen that said CRITICAL PROCESS DIED.

I then did a clean install of Windows on my SSD. Windows booted in fine. When I tried installing video drivers, the screen stayed black mid-install and a bootloop started. There was also a BSOD occasionally that said VIDEO TDR FAILURE, with 'nvlddmkm.sys' being what failed. I tried installing older Nvidia drivers through safe mode (and using DDU) but I still got the boot loop.

I reinstalled windows and then tried my old Rx 580. Windows booted fine, and then started automatically installing the video drivers. The resolution then suddenly changed to 1440p from the default 768p after a fresh install, and the screen froze. I was then stuck in the same boot loop I'd encountered previously.
I'm unsure how to diagnose this problem further - I suspect it could be an issue with the motherboard or even the PSU, but I don't have any spare parts to test with. Any advice would be much appreciated.

First, try your onboard display adapter. Get into your UEFI BIOS and set it to boot from the onboard display adapter. If the pc boots into Windows, see if you can install the GPU drivers. Then go back into UEFI BIOS and change display output back to the GPU.

If the above is unsuccessful, build your system outside of the case to rule out an electrical short. If you've not done this before, follow this process:
  1. Get cardboard, wood, or any non-conductive surface
  2. Disconnect all cables/wires from motherboard, except for CPU fan
  3. Move any components that might hinder removal of the motherboard from the case
  4. Remove motherboard from the case (leave the RAM and CPU installed), then place it on the surface from step 1
  5. Remove the PSU from the case
  6. Reinstall your GPU
  7. Connect the PSU to the GPU and motherboard
  8. Look on your motherboard for the power switch pins
  9. Jump the pins with a metal object, like a flathead screwdriver, to power up your rig
  10. test for stability (if successful)

Dec 16, 2020
Hi, my CPU doesn't have onboard graphics so I won't be able to boot from the onboard display adapter.

I'll try rebuilding my PC later this week when I have time. Been quite annoying because it happened quite suddenly, but luckily most of my parts will be covered under warranty since I built the PC in June.

Dec 16, 2020
??? The images I saw of this board show it has 1 x DVI and 1 x VGA.

Yeah the board supports CPUs which have integrated graphics, but my specific CPU doesn't. Have given my PC to a shop to diagnose - don't have the time/experience to diagnose. Will update the thread when I discover what was wrong in case it helps anyone else with a similar issue in the future.