Stuck in constant startup repair loop.

brandopb

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
My younger brother claims he "updated the PC/drivers" to get his out of date Rollercoaster Tycoon game to run.

I turned on my PC this morning and it gets stuck in the startup repair loop -- despite it saying all the problems have been fixed. I don't have any start up or repair CDs to boot with. When I hit F8 to prompt me to the screen where I am able to recover from a later date, nothing happens (just gets frozen at a black screen with the white dash blinking in the upper left).

Am I going to have to purchase some recovery CDs or are there any other quick fixes?

brandopb

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

I'm able to access BIOS. How do I go about checking to see if it's in this mode?

It depends on the laptop. They each have different BIOS options. Most are under Advanced -> Storage and you would see an option set to either AHCI or IDE. Most modern laptops are installed in AHCI mode for better performance but have the option to rn in IDE for legacy compatibility with older OSes such as XP.

brandopb

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

Not running off a laptop (not sure if that matters). I don't see anything under "Advanced" relating to AHCI or IDE.

I have an AMD processor installed -- for what it's worth.