Question Stuck in Safe Mode and Cannot get out

peteraryan

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2015
Let's start with I thought that I was better at computers than I was :(

This is a 2 year old build that has worked well until today. I was trying to fix an issue with file moving thinking that there was less storage than it said there was. I tried a solution which involved using msconfig to restart the PC in safe mode. However when it restarted, my monitors said that the input wasn't supported. Now I can't even get out of safe mode because I have no visual.

Build:
OS = Windows 11
Mobo = ASUS Z690P
GPU = GIGABYTE Radeon RX 6600 Eagle 8G Graphics Card
CPU = Intel Core i5-12400F
RAM = CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5600 (PC5-44800) C36 1.25V
Main Hard Drive = WD Black SN850
Power Supply = EVGA SuperNOVA 750
Monitor Cable = HDMI

Things that I have tried:
- Hard Reboot 3x - no change
- Boot with Window 11 Boot Media (USB) - no change
- Reset BIOS by pulling coin battery and shorting the jumper - no change
- Change Msconfig setting without being able to see it (uncertain of success) - no change
- Tried two alternate monitors (one monitor through Dport and one TV through HDMI) - no change

I have run out of things that I know to try and am hoping that others are more knowledgeable. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
If you're at what you think is the main screen, press and hold down Win+R then let go of both, then type out msconfig(yes you need to type them one key at a time), then hit enter. You should hit tab on your keyboard 4 times>Right arrow>hit tab 3 times>hit spacebar once>tap the right arrow key 8 times>hit tab 6 times>hit enter.

Reboot after that and see if that helps.

Last edited:
However when it restarted, my monitors said that the input wasn't supported. Now I can't even get out of safe mode because I have no visual.
Man I hate those days when that used to happen. If what Lutfij suggested your still at a road block do you have a TV to plug your HDMI into. TV's will moan and groan about out of range but most will let you move forward.

Reactions: Lutfij

peteraryan

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2015
Got it working. Not sure exactly what resolved it so for the next fool, here is what I did:

Full Shut Down
Removed Bios Battery and left out overnight
Removed GPU
Removed 1 of 2 DDR5 RAMM
Plugged into old tv
Returned Bios Battery
Started and got into windows
Turned off safe mode
Shut Down
Added back GPU and Second RAMM
Back to working state :)

Thank you for everyone's help!