Question Stuck in tty1 after upgrading to Ubuntu 24.04

Aug 12, 2024
Hi!

A friend of mine upgraded her machine from Ubuntu 22.04 to 24.04. Now she can't boot to desktop and is stuck in the tty1. Trying older kernels didn't work. Any suggestions?

Some screenshots, pic3 is after doing sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop: https://postimg.cc/gallery/Z0rDHP4

Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2024
It appears that this mess was caused by attempting to compile from source. Why? If this friend is knowledgeable enough to do this then he/she is fully capable of fixing the resulting mess.
She just tried different solutions found online. Not sure if she tried to compile from source. She mentioned removing quite & splash though...

Is there a way to fix it, or reinstalling the OS is the only option?

USAFRet

Titan
She just tried different solutions found online. Not sure if she tried to compile from source. She mentioned removing quite & splash though...

Is there a way to fix it, or reinstalling the OS is the only option?
Problems:

1. We're trying to do this via remote control. Us to you to her.

2. We have NO idea of what "solutions" were followed, and how things progressed. Therefore, no idea how to walk them back.

So yes...reinstall.
Start from a known good base.

Aug 12, 2024
Problems:

1. We're trying to do this via remote control. Us to you to her.

2. We have NO idea of what "solutions" were followed, and how things progressed. Therefore, no idea how to walk them back.

So yes...reinstall.
Start from a known good base.
Both are fair points. I just wanted to give it a shot by asking here, before announcing the "bad" news to her.

I will try to get more info that might help, otherwise reinstall it is.

Both are fair points. I just wanted to give it a shot by asking here, before announcing the "bad" news to her.

I will try to get more info that might help, otherwise reinstall it is.
A wise choice. Unless one is VERY proficient with GCC and all of the commandline switches and has configured the system for such (paths and such) then one should not be trying to compile anything (OS, kernel, etc.)

Aug 12, 2024
Also, a full reinstall of the OS, be it Windows or Linux, should never be the earth shattering thing that many people think it is.
I agree. For me it isn't, that's why I used quotes. But in this case we will need to back up files using a live usb, as everything is in one partition so it's just time consuming.

How I wish timeshift were enabled...

Aug 12, 2024
A wise choice. Unless one is VERY proficient with GCC and all of the commandline switches and has configured the system for such (paths and such) then one should not be trying to compile anything (OS, kernel, etc.)
I see. To be fair I'm not sure if anything like that was tried, as I was called a bit late to the party. Out of curiosity, are you sure this was the case?

USAFRet

Titan
I agree. For me it isn't, that's why I used quotes. But in this case we will need to back up files using a live usb, as everything is in one partition so it's just time consuming.

How I wish timeshift were enabled...
I wasn't referring to you, or even your friend.

But we see many people here with "reinstall is not an option!"
Yes, it IS an option. Just not one you wish to employ.

Aug 12, 2024
I wasn't referring to you, or even your friend.

But we see many people here with "reinstall is not an option!"
Yes, it IS an option. Just not one you wish to employ.
I meant to say, 'for me it isn't earth-shattering,' not that it isn't an option for me. But yeah, I see what you mean.

Btw thank you both!

I see. To be fair I'm not sure if anything like that was tried, as I was called a bit late to the party. Out of curiosity, are you sure this was the case?
It's quite clear from the screenshots that an attempt was made to compile from source (at least the kernel). The errors shown are indicative of a misconfigured build system. This is one I wouldn't touch even if I were on site. This is a full wipe and reinstall.

Sorry for asking in this thread, but it is a good opportunity to learn something new. What part indicates the attempt?
Photo #1 - see all those "Make", "Cleaning", "Building", "Error"? That's compiler output. The filenames referenced are part of the kernel source. So whoever took that image was attempting to compile the kernel and was encountering a multitude of errors. Compiling the system is not something for novices, especially if they are prone to treat every video on the net as gospel.

Aug 12, 2024
Photo #1 - see all those "Make", "Cleaning", "Building", "Error"? That's compiler output. The filenames referenced are part of the kernel source. So whoever took that image was attempting to compile the kernel and was encountering a multitude of errors. Compiling the system is not something for novices, especially if they are prone to treat every video on the net as gospel.
Oh yeah, this makes (no pun intended) sense. Thanks for the information.