Stuck IP in IPv4

dataDINK

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Hey guys.

I had a computer come into my shop about a week ago. I've been thinking about this computer non stop for the entirety of it, just because it wont connect to any network. When I haven't manually configured an IP, it keeps trying to pull an ip from a network range that we don't have. I know that our router here at work advertises a certain range of IP's for DHCP.

I've done everything I know of to flush out this IP, but it's just stuck in his DHCP cache. I've tried turning off and back on various services that could effect his TCP/IP Stack. I've issued ipconfig release and renew and flushdns. I've issued netsh commands to clear out all settings. The customer had told us that his problem connecting to the internet only started happening on the 12th, the day before he brought it in to us. So after trying everything before a restore, we obtained his permission to do a restore to a previous backup point. Notified him that his programs wouldn't go away, none of his personal files would be lost. Alas, a restore didn't work either, we restored to a restore point made a year ago.

I tested to see if there was anything wrong with the TCP/IP stack, and pinged the local loop back. That came back with a general failure. So I'm thinking he has a program installed or some sort of virus that has weaved itself into his system files and corrupted the stack on his OS.

I took further troubleshooting steps to make sure that his onboard ethernet connection wasn't bad by booting into a live distro, Knoppix. All network connections worked just fine with a different operating system. I'm absolutely dumbfounded by how puzzled this computer has me. This customer is adamant on keeping webroot firewall and norton on his computer. I can see why he wants to keep webroot, solely so he can restrict his childrens activity on the internet (good parenting). But I have this gut wrenching feeling that webroot is the cause of his problem.

Any advice or insight on webroot and what I might be able to do?

can you disable norton and webroot?

is the norton license expired?

did the problem occur after he installed updates for any of those two softwares?

Is there a reason why he is running two antivirus softwares?

is it Norton AV or Internet Security?

dataDINK

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Norton is expired, but I had disabled both norton and webroot. I also deactivate webroots little driver addition to the adapter settings where I can see all the little tools and settings installed (IPv4, IPv6, Windows Discovery Services, etc.). I spoke with him twice today to try and impart upon him the wisdom that when certain services are expired that things like this can happen, especially because both webroot and norton weave themselves so deep into the system. He didn't want to hear it. I let him know that short of removing the programs and anything else they have associated with them, the only other thing I can do is reinstall the system and do a backup of his data and migrate over his profile.