Stuck on 100% CPU Usage, Help!

ParadigmSys

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I'm working on a friend's PC yesterday that is running at 100% CPU usage when it boots to the desktop. I suggested to come in Safe mode, still 100%, what the...?

I unchecked everything in the startup using "msconfig" and can you believe it's still doing 100%?

Upon looking at the Task Manager, the process seems to be "system" pegging out at 99%. 2nd from bottom of 21 processes running.
Same thing in Safe Mode with 15 processes running, system is 99%!

Very frustrating.
Has anyone seen this before or how to remedy this stuck full throttle CPU?

Specs:
XP Home Edition (legit)
AMD Sempron 3200
512 RAM

Any advice would help!
Thank you,
Del ;-)

Suffix

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
a quick google search indicates that its probrobly a virus. From the few links I clicked in google even with antivirus software people were having trouble getting rid of these. Just remmber to shut off system restore because sometimes viruses will restore themselfes back after you delete them. You will loose all previous system restore points though. Good luck.

The_Kid_from_Indy

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
I had the same problem. I tried everything, but nothing worked. Till I open the case up, and found dust bunnies on all the fans. It was bad enough to stop the air to circulate, especially on the power source fan. I've gave it a good clean job. and the CPU Usage reads 0% to 4 % while idling now. Try it and see if it works for you.

dokk

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
I'm working on a friend's PC yesterday that is running at 100% CPU usage when it boots to the desktop. I suggested to come in Safe mode, still 100%, what the...?

I unchecked everything in the startup using "msconfig" and can you believe it's still doing 100%?

Upon looking at the Task Manager, the process seems to be "system" pegging out at 99%. 2nd from bottom of 21 processes running.
Same thing in Safe Mode with 15 processes running, system is 99%!

Very frustrating.
Has anyone seen this before or how to remedy this stuck full throttle CPU?

Specs:
XP Home Edition (legit)
AMD Sempron 3200
512 RAM

Any advice would help!
Thank you,
Del ;-)

HI Paradigm..Which system??? System Idle Process IS SuPPOSED TO BE HIGH the higher the better,,,remember it is not called IDLE for nothing,as in available resources..........Take care now.....

invictus25

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
i was about to start the same thread myself! what a coincidence!...by the way, this 100% cpu usage shit has been happening to my comp for almost a day now...and it starts to annoy me because i cant even watch a video without lag, let alone playing any games... typically, this 100% usage only lasted a few hours at most then i will be back to 10%<. (and this also rarely happens)...

so does any of you have concrete solution to resolve this matter, other than formatting?... i was thinking mayb wat kid_form_indy says is true..i will try to clean up my heatsink and cpu fan...because currently my cpu temp has gone up to 45C, usually it is only 35C...so that could be one of the reason...i'll get back after i try to clean it up...but if anyone has better resolution, pls do help... cos i practically cannot do anything much on such a system with 100%cpu usage.

and by the way, i already check the processes that are running in my system and none of them are illegal...

invictus25

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
If the task manager is not helpful try sysinternal's "Process Explorer" is much more informative.

thank you for the recommendation. i manage to find which particular process is taking up SO MUCH cpu usage. turns out it is svchost.exe

from some sites, they mention it is a legitimate process but others says it is some sort of virus.. which is it?...because when i disable the process, my pc just re-boot itself.. help ppl!!! anyone???

ParadigmSys

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Thanks for the assistance, I will look closer into it.
It's silly though that even in safe mode it's pegged at 100%!

It's "System" not the "System Idle Process"

I was probably a program installed and not removed correctly.
Maybe bloaty Norton Internet security 2005?...

I did, by the way, reinstall the Norton it and then uninstall itself to remove all registry entries.. took 1/2 an hour due to still being at 100%!

Then upon reboot, it still is freakin' 100%! Very Frustrating!!!

I'm this close to reinstalling XP. Problem is there are valuable file and programs in there that will take time to "backup".

I just want the CPU to relax, the system is totally busy...

I don't see what can be calling all the attention, but I'll keep digging.

Del :)

invictus25

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
ok i finally managed to resolve the issue...now my system idle process is about 85%...dues to some existing internal processes of interrupts and DCPs... thx!

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I had the same problem. I tried everything, but nothing worked. Till I open the case up, and found dust bunnies on all the fans. It was bad enough to stop the air to circulate, especially on the power source fan. I've gave it a good clean job. and the CPU Usage reads 0% to 4 % while idling now. Try it and see if it works for you.

Yeah. I cleaned the dust from my TFT panel and now I get 100 fps in Oblivion!

ParadigmSys

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Thanks,
It most likely is a piece of malicious code running.
But grabbing 100% CPU, now that's malicious!!!

My friend has DSL and alway leaves it on.
It's probably something nasty from the Web.

I did scan using Ad-Aware with updates and it only found cookies.
Then Trend Micro web scan, a small trojan and more cookies.
Upon reboot, still 100%. Errrr...

Ya know when you think it's a small problem and it turns into a freakin' project how the tension mounts?

Anyhow, I do thank you for you help so far.

Del ;-)

invictus25

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
u should really use the program recommended by doolittle...u can locate the particular processes that is using most of the cpu...then u can disable it...btw PMR, u got 100fps on oblivion using a 6600gt card??? even on my system, im only getting 90fps on CSS (max settings)...

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I was being sarcastic. Read the quote and answer.
I believe my card is only able to run oblivion at 1024 and half quality settings.
I don´t even have the game. :)

EDIT: btw, I run CS:S @1280x1024 4xAA Trilinear and max settings (not water reflection) and I get 88fps in the system test with this agp card.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Thanks,
It most likely is a piece of malicious code running.
But grabbing 100% CPU, now that's malicious!!!

My friend has DSL and alway leaves it on.
It's probably something nasty from the Web.

I did scan using Ad-Aware with updates and it only found cookies.
Then Trend Micro web scan, a small trojan and more cookies.
Upon reboot, still 100%. Errrr...

Ya know when you think it's a small problem and it turns into a freakin' project how the tension mounts?

Anyhow, I do thank you for you help so far.

Del ;-)

How about posting a hijackthis log? And maybe a snap shot of your regedit-----Run---> container?

I've had similar problems on client systems releated to a line of code trying to update Sun Java's SDK clients upon boot.

invictus25

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
I was being sarcastic. Read the quote and answer.
I believe my card is only able to run oblivion at 1024 and half quality settings.
I don´t even have the game. :)

EDIT: btw, I run CS:S @1280x1024 4xAA Trilinear and max settings (not water reflection) and I get 88fps in the system test with this agp card.

lol...didnt quite get ur sarcasm tho... anyways, that's pretty good that u get 88fps...

sincraft

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
hmmm, sounds most likely like one of four things...or more:
1. running something like prime95. Kill all task to make sure this isn't happening. Not sure about safemode though, doubt it's running if you're in there.
2. your network interface card is fubard (nic) - try disabling the onboard on if you have one and then try another nic.
3. you have a virus or spyware.
4. your hardware is fubard somewhere. A 'failing' piece of hardware will often give off 100% cpu usage, including the cpu..prior to finally going 'poof!'

I would suggest that you alert your friend to this possibility before it happens! NOTHING like working on a neighbor/friends pc then something fries. Had it happen once, thankfully it was a junk p3 pc that I had a version of sitting in my basement rusting away. I slapped a new mobo in there and away she went ...just like...er..new?

mkay then.

S

sincraft

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
hmmm, sounds most likely like one of four things...or more:
1. running something like prime95. Kill all task to make sure this isn't happening. Not sure about safemode though, doubt it's running if you're in there.
2. your network interface card is fubard (nic) - try disabling the onboard on if you have one and then try another nic.
3. you have a virus or spyware.
4. your hardware is fubard somewhere. A 'failing' piece of hardware will often give off 100% cpu usage, including the cpu..prior to finally going 'poof!'

I would suggest that you alert your friend to this possibility before it happens! NOTHING like working on a neighbor/friends pc then something fries. Had it happen once, thankfully it was a junk p3 pc that I had a version of sitting in my basement rusting away. I slapped a new mobo in there and away she went ...just like...er..new?

mkay then.

S

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002

OMG. HOT != CPU usage.

What the hell are you doing offering advice man? A system full of dust does not, and can not affect CPU usage. It affects CPU temperature, and may crash the system often, but it will NEVER make your CPU usage increase.

Please make sure your brain is engaged before placing keyboard in gear.