Feb 17, 2019
Any idea why I'm stuck at 100mbps?

It's an Realtek 1Gbit onboard, on an Asrock 970 extreme4, running Windows 10. It's my step son's machine. My PC has the exact same motherboard and I've never had this problem. I'm currently using cat 6 cable and ubiquity switch. I have had the same problem in the past, connecting to an Asus router. I think I may have even tried pc to pc with a crossover, although I'm not certain of this.

I tried different cables, new switch, downloaded drivers, plugged and unplugged, done Win 10 reset, forced full 1Gb in settings. At this rate I'm going to have to buy seperate NIC to put in.

It is unlikely it is the nic but I suppose it could be, more likely physical damage if it was.

Make sure you leave the speed on auto, it gets very confused if one side is auto and the other is not. The router/switch will always be auto and almost no consumer units allow you to change this.

It is almost always bad cables that cause this. Be very sure the cables you are using are quality cables. You need cat5e or better. Most important is the wire must be pure copper no CCA and the wire size must be 22-24, none of that flat or thin wire. There is massive amounts of fake cable on the market.

Also just because it works on one device does not always mean it will work on another. Cables can be just slightly out of spec and work on some machines and not others. It is not possible to test cables for a home user the meters are too expensive for even small cable installers.

Feb 17, 2019
Any idea why I'm stuck at 100mbps?

It's an Realtek 1Gbit onboard, on an Asrock 970 extreme4, running Windows 10. It's my step son's machine. My PC has the exact same motherboard and I've never had this problem. I'm currently using cat 6 cable and ubiquity switch. I have had the same problem in the past, connecting to an Asus router. I think I may have even tried pc to pc with a crossover, although I'm not certain of this.

I tried different cables, new switch, downloaded drivers, plugged and unplugged, done Win 10 reset, forced full 1Gb in settings. At this rate I'm going to have to buy seperate NIC to put in.

Thanks for getting back to me on this. That's what I gather. However, I can't see any physical dammage. It's always been a problem with his PC, but never with mine. The same cable that will give me 1Gbit will only give him 100. I had assumed it was a driver/software problem but not been able to solve it. I just got around to running cat 6 cable round the house. I'm in the process of installing one cable to the living room, one to his bedroom, and a spair one, ready to install an upstairs, additional AP beacause I have huge thick granite walls.

The cable seems substantial. The copper seems thick and good. It's stamped with "Cat 6" and ANSI standards etc. It wasn't cheap. When I put my access point on the end of it, I get a full 1Gb link.

Feb 17, 2019
Verify RJ45 jack's pin all straight and not bent, no dust ball. After that, sounds like u zeroed down to this box, nothing to do buy give it another (nice Intel) NIC.

Will double check pins later when he's awake. I'm sure I checked last time I was trying to sort it out. I'm surprised it's a hardware fault. I bought him the same board as mine because mines been really good and lasted years. I've got a low profile Intel card in my pfsense box and they're very nice. Seems as though I need one more.