Stuck on B2 postcode after GPU swap

Horsem4n

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
So, i have worked on this for 6 hours and cant make heads or tails of the issue. Let me start with the build:

CPU FX8350
GPU (new) Zotac GTX 1060 6gb (old) R9 270x
Mobo MSI 970A-G45
16 gigs ram (4x4) ddr3
Corsair CX750M PSU

So, the computer is working fine whenever i have the R9 in there throughout the whole night, but with the 1060, the screen never passes the first or 2nd postcode, always B2, but im sure it doesnt really matter. all that matters is that its not finishing the post, never reaching the MSI splash screen. I cannot enter bios menu or boot setup, but whenever i try it does display the "entering setup" message in the bottom left even though it never gets there. when the B2 postcode is up, i hear a small beep every 30 seconds or so from my mobo buzzer.
Things I've tried:
resetting the bios with the jumper
uninstalling the AMD graphics drivers
testing the 1060 on my other computer that had a 1080 and it booted fine and recognized the 1060
re seating the ram and graphics card multiple times

IDK, the computer is happy working with the R9 card, but it wont do anything with the 1060.
I know my mobo is rather old, but it has the newer UEFI type bios. Its bios verision is at 1.4 which was released in 2011 and the most up to date bios on MSIs support site for my mobo is 2.8. I did spend some time trying to update the bios, but i couldn't get it to start the bios update and felt like asking if anyone thought it was necessary before i bothered continuing to try and update it.

the only other thing that may be relevant is that the R9 had been slightly overclocked. Im not sure what software was used to do it as this is my girlfriends computer and she had a friend do the overclock.

Any idea what may be going on dudes?

Solution
Normally if computer is working fine, the advice is leave the bios be, why mess with it. If done incorrectly, bios update can brick your mobo so for beginners, always advice is leave it alone unless a fix is needed. Bios would be a suggestion because if your mobo came out before your video card was ever made, then there is likely not going to be support for it immediately. With a bios update, this can add the compatibility for different gpus. Typically bios will have bios notes to describe what's in them and is being fixed. If any versions since your current one mention vga or gpu compatibility improvements, that is what you need. However I'd try with drivers first, simply to avoid bios flashing if you've never done it before.

As for...

Horsem4n

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
I'll do the bios upgrade if other people agree. I've read elsewhere that it shouldn't be necessary (from other threads with similar problems).

Nvidia's installer won't install drivers without an Nvidia card present. Since my only other card right now is an AMD card, I'm at a loss there.
I can try to find my ye'olde 550ti and stick it in there to do that I guess, but it's missing. I do have 2 other computers with 1080s, but this is a mid tower PC and those cards aren't going to fit.

Sedivy

Estimable
Normally if computer is working fine, the advice is leave the bios be, why mess with it. If done incorrectly, bios update can brick your mobo so for beginners, always advice is leave it alone unless a fix is needed. Bios would be a suggestion because if your mobo came out before your video card was ever made, then there is likely not going to be support for it immediately. With a bios update, this can add the compatibility for different gpus. Typically bios will have bios notes to describe what's in them and is being fixed. If any versions since your current one mention vga or gpu compatibility improvements, that is what you need. However I'd try with drivers first, simply to avoid bios flashing if you've never done it before.

As for nvidia, did you try turning off checkbox for installing everything but barebones drivers? No nvidia experience and all the other bells and whistles that nvidia wants to cram on your system. Just barebones drivers and see if it'll let you then.

Solution