Stuck on black screen with spinning dots

JTBowling

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
Hello,

I recently went on vacation, and when I came home my computer was on a black screen with the spinning white dots. Once I push the power button on the front of my case, it shuts down. Once I boot it back on, it loads through the BIOS screen and then goes back to the spinning white dots. The cursor is still on screen and I can move it with my mouse.

CTRL+ALT+DEL does absolutely nothing. I have no idea what is going on.

Please help

Update:

I let it keep spinning for about an hour, now it's just black. The spinning dots are gone.

Solution
Boot your computer up. As soon as you see the spinning dots ( with Windows Logo? ) shut the power off your computer. You might have to do this 3 times until you see something like "Preparing automatic Repair" Then "Diagnosing your PC" Wait for awhile then It should be in Automatic Repair screen from here you can choose advanced options/troubleshoot/advanced options (again) then/ Startup options. You can reboot in safe mode from here and figure out additions issues. If your computer is not using SSD or a hdd in AHCI you may be able to press F8 at the boot up and go into safe mode, but I think Win 10 has f8 disabled but its worth a try.
This is only one option. There could be many things causing this but this is a start. IF the above...

DarkEngine

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
Boot your computer up. As soon as you see the spinning dots ( with Windows Logo? ) shut the power off your computer. You might have to do this 3 times until you see something like "Preparing automatic Repair" Then "Diagnosing your PC" Wait for awhile then It should be in Automatic Repair screen from here you can choose advanced options/troubleshoot/advanced options (again) then/ Startup options. You can reboot in safe mode from here and figure out additions issues. If your computer is not using SSD or a hdd in AHCI you may be able to press F8 at the boot up and go into safe mode, but I think Win 10 has f8 disabled but its worth a try.
This is only one option. There could be many things causing this but this is a start. IF the above doesn't work You can also boot directly from your Windows Disk by setting boot priority in the Bios.
This is a hard one for people to answer because info is minimal. You may end up needing to do a fresh Windows install if its not a hardware issue.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS