stuck on blue logo screen (no loading dots) on clean installation of windows 10

Dec 30, 2018
I just recently built my first pc and everything seems to be running smoothly, according to the BIOS at least, but windows 10 fails to install from a usb. It gets stuck on the blue logo screen with no loading dots. I've seen a lot of posts about this but nobody seems to have a good solution. I've tried remaking the drive, taking out the unnecessary components as it tries to boot, using the WHQL support in the bios, checking to make sure all the hardware is firmly connected, waiting an hour to see if anything happens, and none of these have worked. I've also seen that you're supposed to use the UEFI version of the drive if it comes up, and the same thing happens—I get stuck—although the screen is instead the msi logo (my motherboard manufacturer). I've read through all the commands in the BIOS and tried numerous configurations, but nothing has worked. What else could the problem be? The motherboard manufacturer's site says my specific motherboard is "windows 10 ready", so could it still be the motherboard? Aside from burning the windows 10 installer to a blank disc, I have no other ideas of what to try.

Here's my specs:

motherboard: msi b450 gaming plus
cpu: amd ryzen 5 2600X
cpu cooler: cooler master hyper 212 evo
ssd: samsung 970 evo (m.2)
graphics card: msi rx 570 armor oc
ram: corsair vengeance lpx 3000 MHz
psu: evga 500 br

Dec 30, 2018

Didn't seem to work.

Dec 30, 2018

I just put it into the M.2 slot on the motherboard. I can try initializing it, but that would require me to find someone with a pc that also has an m.2 slot on the motherboard, so it may be a bit. I'm confused about why you'd need to initialize the drive... shouldn't it be ready from the box?

No, it may not even show up in the BIOS. Do you have another drive? That is a possibility to install the OP on another drive. Then initialize the M.2 drive. And then unplug the other driver and install Windows 10 on the M.2 SSD.

It is a lot of trouble, but it is a possibility.

Dec 30, 2018

I have yet to initialize the drive still, but in order to do so, I tried plugging in an external hard drive and installing to that one first. But that didn't work, so I suspect initializing my drive won't do anything. Also, when I get stuck, it happens before I even tell it which drive to install windows to, so I don't think it's the ssd.

Dec 30, 2018

I've updated the BIOS, but how do you update the chipset drivers?

Just go to the same site for the BIOS. It should list the chipset in the Driver download tan. Then download it and follow the instructions. It should have a setup executable file or a installation wizard. If not you can update it through Device Manager.

Dec 30, 2018

There's no instructions in the manual or in the downloaded drivers. I'm fairly certain the drivers are supposed to be installed after the installation of windows 10, but I could be wrong. I also have a disk that may have drivers on it. If I run the disk without an OS, will it do anything? Somewhat unrelated, but I also just tried clearing the CMOS and nothing changed, so idk if that helps narrow the problem.

The chipset driver is loaded after Windows loads. The BIOS updates within in the BIOS. I confused this with another thread I'm responding to.

Dec 30, 2018

Sorry, it's been a little while, but I tried a few things with no luck, so I bought a new motherboard. Sadly, the same thing happens so it's not the motherboard. I'm starting to suspect it's the cpu, because when I turn on my system, the cpu fan increases in volume slowly, reaching a fairly high volume, then it quickly slows to a normal speed. It still could be the ram, the graphics card, or the m.2 drive, but the graphics card displays the right things so far, so I don't see why it would be that, and the ram shows up in the bios (both sticks show up and amount of mem is correct). The only things I think it could be are the cpu or the m.2 drive, or bios settings preventing the proper use of one of those. The BIOS for my new motherboard (asus rog strix B450-f gaming) is version 2.17.1246, and I haven't looked to see if there's updates yet. Oh also, I'm testing everything outside the case, so it's definitely not a problem with case contact points or anything.