Question Stuck on EFI screen

CraigsCraig

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
Hello!
I just got this laptop from a friend. He said it doesnt work and he doesnt care about it anymore. So I wanted to try and fix it. What I ran into is right after starting it up the first thing I see is a screen saying:
EFI Shell version 2.40
Current running mode 1.1.2
Device mapping table
Blk0 - Alias (null)
Blk1 - Alias (null)
Blk2 - Alias (null)

Press ESC in 5 seconds to skip startup.nsh, any other key to continue.
Shell>

Pressing esc or any other key doesnt work. Only ctrl alt del restarts the laptop. What should I do to fix it? I dont get a chance to open BIOS either.

Thanks a lot,
Have a nice day

CraigsCraig

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
What brand and model is this machine? Lets see if we can find more info on it first.
Oh second time replying cause I'm dumb. I solved it and it turned out it's cause it's the only thing it can boot to. Inserting a windows install usb gets it to the windows install menu. Problem is when creating a partition it gave me an error. So I went to the cmd and used diskpart to "fix the errors". after doing so the drive magically became from 60GB big to 7GB big and I have no clue at all what the blin happened there and/or how to fix it.

Hmmm.... maybe it's using a 8GB eMMC chip for storage. Windows 10 won't install to that, so it's probably running Linux or ChromeOS or something else that's not Windows If you want to keep it, may want to take a look inside the unit and see what your options are for things like storage and/or RAM upgrades.

CraigsCraig

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
Hmmm.... maybe it's using a 8GB eMMC chip for storage. Windows 10 won't install to that, so it's probably running Linux or ChromeOS or something else that's not Windows If you want to keep it, may want to take a look inside the unit and see what your options are for things like storage and/or RAM upgrades.
Weird thing is there's the Windows logo right on the front when you open it up. On the keyboard too. So it definitely is supposed to run Windows. Also I'm pretty sure somewhere I saw that the storage is actually 64GB. Also note that at first it did show it as it should aka 60GB.