Question stuck on efi shell screen RCA cambio tablet

Nov 6, 2018
I had let a friend barrow my rca cambio 2 in 1 tablet with windows 10 on it and when he returned it, I found it would only boot to the efi shell screen and no further. when on that screen the keyboard does not respond and the only thing that seems to do anything is the power button. each time i press it, it's like hitting an enter key and it reprints SHELL> each time you press it. cannot get any other external keyboard to respond when plugging it into the usb port. RCA did not answer my email to their support team and no other site seems to have any information on how to correct this problem. this might truly be bricked.... any help would be a god send

I found this for factory reset on RCA Cambio tablet, hopefully that'll work but beware that anything you've saved on it will be overwritten:

• With your tablet off, press and hold the volume up (+) button and power button until you see the RCA splash screen. Release both buttons to reveal the Android bot on his back with a caution symbol above him.
  • A new screen will appear asking you to use your volume up/down keys to move and the power button to select.
  • Use the volume down (-) button to highlight "wipe data/factory reset." Once highlighted, select using the power button.
  • A new screen will appear asking you to confirm your selection. Use your volume down (-) button to highlight "Yes -- delete all user data." Press the power button to select once highlighted.
  • Once the tablet is finished wiping data, you may press the power button to select "reboot system now." This will restart your tablet.
  • The system will begin to reboot and once again display the RCA logo. The next "Welcome" screen will prompt you to select your language of choice. Scroll through the options using your finger and press start when finished.

RCA are very scarce in the information provided. What happens if you plug external keyboard? Can you enter BIOS using an external BIOS?

If so - get a powered USB hub, download and prepare an USB drive with Windows 10 installation from Microsoft, and try to repair the installation. And ask the person what he / she did.

Did you ask your friend what happened to cause this?

Really for a $100 tablet from RCA, it's junk. Nothing with Windows that would be of any usable quality under $200 exists and I would not spend under $300. If you want something that cheap, get a Chromebook or Android tablet. Even then the $100 ones are not great, and I would not get RCA or Nextbook.