Stuck on "Loading Operating System" After HDD Install

crazydoglady

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
I know that similar questions have been asked many times, but none of the solutions have worked for me.

I have changed the boot order in an attempt to boot from a burned disk. I get to the "Boot from CD/DVD" line, then the cursor just blinks and blinks.

I verified that I was indeed burning the Windows 10 iso correctly, and I even tried multiple disks with the same results.

I tried to install Ubuntu 12.04 earlier and got halfway through the install, but then it failed.

I'm completely stumped :(

Edit: I re-installed Ubuntu 12.04 and I am having the same problem still.

Is there a BIOS setting that I should check?

Welcome to Tom's Hardware, crazydoglady! :)

I think a simple reset of BIOS might help you resolve the issue. Here's a tutorial with 3 different methods how to do that: http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS
I'd also check the motherboard manufacturer's website for any firmware and driver updates and make sure you have the latest available hardware utilities installed for your model.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes!
SuperSoph_WD

crazydoglady

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
Thanks so much for your reply! I was able to reset the BIOS (I had to ultimately remove the CMOS battery), and I tried to boot from CD/DVD. I got an error that looks like this that I haven't seen before:

!!!! X64 Exception Type - 0000000000000D !!!!
RIP - 0000000CF98F21B, CS - 00000000000000038, etc.

I pushed down on the battery when I put it back in to ensure that it was secured, but maybe it's out of place?

Edit: That issue went away. However, I am getting this error "Could not open \EFI\BOOT\fallback.efi". I am going to go back into "try Ubuntu" and see if I can use boot-repair.

Edit 2: I can't get boot repair. I am regretting doing this very much. :(

Hi again!

To me this looks like a Memory or CPU problem. Use memtest to check up on the RAM.
To save yourself the trouble, you should maybe take the computer to a professional computer repair services.
They will be able to test all the components in the rig and find where the issue is coming from.

Good luck! Let me know if I can help with anything else!
SuperSoph_WD