[SOLVED] stuck on "reboot and select proper boot device" can't get into bios

Oct 24, 2020
Just built my first ever PC and booted it up for the first time. I'm now stuck on the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" screen. (For context, I plan on installing windows via USB and I have a B550 Aorus Pro). Most of the time when I reboot I can get to the motherboard home screen which gives me button options for bios and other stuff but those button options don't register when I hit them and then it almost immediately jumps to the "reboot and select" screen and I'm stuck again. I've watched a ton of troubleshooting vids and read plenty of articles on this issue but I'm still having trouble.

Here's some things I've tried so far with no success:

1. unplugged and replugged in all my SATA cables going into my HDD and SSD
  2. jumped my CMOS jumpers with screwdriver
  3. took my CMOS battery out for a minute and then put it back in
  4. mashed my bios key (delete) as many times as possible immediately after rebooting
  5. tried other buttons/combos (f12, f2, ctrl + alt + delete, etc)

Have I missed anything?

Solution
Just built my first ever PC and booted it up for the first time. I'm now stuck on the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" screen. (For context, I plan on installing windows via USB and I have a B550 Aorus Pro). Most of the time when I reboot I can get to the motherboard home screen which gives me button options for bios and other stuff but those button options don't register when I hit them and then it almost immediately jumps to the "reboot and select" screen and I'm stuck again. I've watched a ton of troubleshooting vids and read plenty of articles on this issue but I'm still having trouble.

1. unplugged and...

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012

1. unplugged and replugged in all my SATA cables going into my HDD and SSD
  2. jumped my CMOS jumpers with screwdriver
  3. took my CMOS battery out for a minute and then put it back in
  4. mashed my bios key (delete) as many times as possible immediately after rebooting
  5. tried other buttons/combos (f12, f2, ctrl + alt + delete, etc)
Have I missed anything?
Hi there I would suggest trying to replace the keyboard, or if the motherboard is not very new try hooking it up to a PS/2 port
You can also try taking out all the boot media to see if it gives you the ability to get into BIOS
In any case you can also try to hit the "Pause/Break" button on your keyboard and then hit the Delete key specially in the occasional times that you get the screen with the BIOS options.
The pause/break button would 'pause' the boot progress at that moment normally.

Solution