Question Stuck on ROG/Windows Logo

Sep 1, 2019
Alright so I recently bought a new CPU and motherboard to upgrade my rig. But after tearing it down and moving my components over to the new Motherboard and CPU and assembling back together I was able to see everything in BIOS from the hard drives, ram, fans, cpu etc. I double checked to see if my M.2 was primary to boot and it was. So I restarted it once I saw everything was okay and boom stuck on the ROG/Windows logo. It will start showing the little booting circle then it will stay frozen and my CPU fan speed will kick up. I’ve tried booting up the installer through a USB and gets stuck on the same screen. I’ve even tried downloading a BIOS update from the ASUS website for my mobo and it tells me it’s not a valid BIOS update and I’ve tried like 3 different BIOS updates. I’m kinda of to the point where I don’t even know anymore. I’m ready to return my motherboard because I’m assuming that’s the issue here.

Specs: i7 9700k
2x8gb Corsair DDR4 2666mhz ram
Samsung M.2 250gb Nvme 950
Western Digital 1tb HD
Cryorig C7 CPU cooler
MSI ITX GTX 1060 3gb
PSU Corsair CX 550
Motherboard ASUS Strix Z390-I Gaming

Aug 30, 2019
Unless you use exactly the same mbo and cpu you can't install a windows installation without re-installing some drivers.
They are not the same anymore the material has changed, the bios is not involved I think
Re-install or uninstall the old drivers and install the appropriate ones for your hardware.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Did you clean reinstall Windows onto your storage drive?
If not, you should do so.

It is best practice to reinstall windows if you change major hardware such as MB or CPU as you can carry over residual junk and drivers that may conflict with new firmware or hardware.

If you have not done this, you should do so being as you cannot boot at all.
Unless I'm reading this is when you're trying to install?

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019
Unless you use exactly the same mbo and cpu you can't install a windows installation without re-installing some drivers.
They are not the same anymore the material has changed, the bios is not involved I think
Re-install or uninstall the old drivers and install the appropriate ones for your hardware.
Sorry I forgot to add I even disconnected my hard drive and just plugged in the usb and it still wouldn’t even boot to the install screen. It would just get stuck.

Sep 1, 2019
Did you clean reinstall Windows onto your storage drive?
If not, you should do so.

It is best practice to reinstall windows if you change major hardware such as MB or CPU as you can carry over residual junk and drivers that may conflict with new firmware or hardware.

If you have not done this, you should do so being as you cannot boot at all.
Unless I'm reading this is when you're trying to install?
Here’s my dilemma even when I try to run the install through a usb it gets stuck there as well. The Windows logo pops up and it shows that it’s loading with the circle icon then it freezes and CPU fan ramps up just like it does when it gets stuck on the ROG screen.

Did you try this BIOS CAP file?
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-I-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Which BIOS version is currently installed?

CMOS battery is plugged in?

Which onboard LED is on (QLED)? Boot, VGA, DRAM, CPU?

reset the BIOS by shortening the jumper pins "CLRTC" while the system is off

Is the PSU´s ATX 12V/EPS 8pin connector plugged in?
GPU´s PCIE external power 6-pin connector plugged in?

Remove all unnecessary devices, only CPU with cooler and fan, motherboard, power supply, monitor plugged into motherboard´s graphics port, one RAM in slot A1

TRENDING THREADS