stuck on spinning dots cant get repair

Solution
Two options, one is easier on hdd than other.

Since I assume you don't have the win 10 installer, start pc, let it get to dots, restart using the reset button.. then reset it again at blue dots. If you reset it this way about 3 times it should enter automatic repair mode and then put you in

Advanced start up menu (its blue)
now choose troubleshoot
select advanced
select start up repair - this will scan pc and hopefully fix whatever is slowing the boot down - will ask for logon details

if this doesn't work, do the trick you did to enter advanced start up again, and select troubleshoot
Select advanced
Select start up options
Select 1 of the 3 Safe modes on offer
Boot into safe mode and restart pc again (Yes, we did nothing but...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Two options, one is easier on hdd than other.

Since I assume you don't have the win 10 installer, start pc, let it get to dots, restart using the reset button.. then reset it again at blue dots. If you reset it this way about 3 times it should enter automatic repair mode and then put you in

Advanced start up menu (its blue)
now choose troubleshoot
select advanced
select start up repair - this will scan pc and hopefully fix whatever is slowing the boot down - will ask for logon details

if this doesn't work, do the trick you did to enter advanced start up again, and select troubleshoot
Select advanced
Select start up options
Select 1 of the 3 Safe modes on offer
Boot into safe mode and restart pc again (Yes, we did nothing but sometimes this is enough to fix it

If its still broken, do the reset trick and select reset this pc from the first menu option. Two choices, save files (think libraries) and settings (think logons), or wipe it all. I would suggest the first one.

I mentioned two options, didn't I... the other option is download a Windows 10 Installer on another pc using this and create a USB or DVD.
It doesn't take us anywhere different to the previous boot option but its easier on hdd.
Change bios to boot from USB or DVD first, hdd second
Boot from installer, on page after the language choices, select repair this pc, not install
This will take you to advanced start up (See above)

Solution

Anurag20

Reputable
May 10, 2016

At installation/first boot it takes an awfully long time.. was past my patience too.. But win 10 is really worth upgrading to, can't believe the performance of my older H/w..

TRENDING THREADS