Stuck on startup/loading white circle

coryortega

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
Hello all, I'm having major pc problems and I can't seem to figure out the issue. Earlier today I tried to update my RX 480 and while it was updating, my computer ended up freezing. After waiting awhile I just turned it off and tried to reboot it but now every time I turn it on, it gets stuck on a black loading screen with the white dots that move in a circle. I've tried booting into safe mode (which I couldn't get it to do), I've tried using the Window's Media Repair tool to "fix startup" which didn't work, and I don't have any restore points to restore it to. Any ideas on how to fix the issue without restoring my pc? Help is greatly appreciated!

Solution
Does PC have onboard GPU? Can you use it instead of RX 480 and remove whatever drivers are installed from AMD and then plug RX 480 back in and update it again?

start up repair doesn't work
Safe mode doesn't work
System restore doesn't work

running sfc /scannow now in CMD might work but often it won't due to admin rights

I know you don't want to reset but you can use this to copy anything off PC you don't want to lose - try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

most fixes need you to have access to safe mode. Or desktop but you have neither.
You might have to reset or do a fresh install (reset only wipes C drive, not...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does PC have onboard GPU? Can you use it instead of RX 480 and remove whatever drivers are installed from AMD and then plug RX 480 back in and update it again?

start up repair doesn't work
Safe mode doesn't work
System restore doesn't work

running sfc /scannow now in CMD might work but often it won't due to admin rights

I know you don't want to reset but you can use this to copy anything off PC you don't want to lose - try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

most fixes need you to have access to safe mode. Or desktop but you have neither.
You might have to reset or do a fresh install (reset only wipes C drive, not everything else, so there is that)

Solution