Question Stuck on the monitor choosing

RedNeckBack

Prominent
May 20, 2022
I'm stuck with the choosing a new monitor. Mine is old which is Viewsonic VA-2248 (22" / 1080p / 60 hz / tn )
And i'm considering with new (for better eye health) monitors.

The list of which products I could find price/performance.
Lenovo L22i-30 66CAKAC1TK - (21.5" / IPS / 75 Hz / 4ms) --- 1750₺ (91$)
Acer SA220QAbi UM. WS0EE.A01 - (21.5 / IPS / 75 Hz / 4ms) --- 1900₺ (99$)
Acer KA222Q ZeroFrameMonitor - (21.5" / IPS / 75 Hz / 1ms) --- 1900₺ (99$)
Samsung CRG5 LC24RG50FZRXUF - (24" / VA / 144 Hz / 4ms) --- 2480₺ (129$)
LG UltraGear 24GN53A-B - (23.6" / TN / 144 Hz / 1ms) --- 2500₺ (130$)
Asus VP249QGR - (23.8" / IPS / 144 Hz / 1ms ) --- 3300₺ (172$)
Asus TUF Gaming VG249Q1A - (23.8" / IPS / 165 Hz / 1ms) --- 3600₺ (187$)

I'll use it for some daily-task, some coding(using dark mode), play some competitive games(cs:go). Some AAA games. I've heard Curved nor Va monitors are bad so much. So i don't mind the CRG 5 i guess. I know VG249Q1A is the best among that monitors but I wonder about do I really need to 144+ Hz -_- Also wonder about 2 times cost is worth it according to the 75 hz's. So I thought 75 hz, ips and a new monitor can make difference with my monitor. BTW, the main reason to get 144+ Hz monitor will be getting more fps because I'm using RTX 2060 & R5 3600 so I think I can get more fps than 75 Hz some AAA games with 1080p med-high. This is more important to me than the smooth experience with FPS games like cs:go.

The last thing, I think I can sell my Viewsonic for 800-1200₺ (42-62$). I think I won't use my old monitor as 2nd monitor because my desk is small, I'm using my case on the desk.

going from 22" 60Hz to 21.5" 75Hz is not going to make much of a noticeable difference in most instances.
the fact that you'd have upgraded from VA to IPS may help some but nothing worth the money spent.
for better eye health
you mention wanting "better eye health" which i would imagine means less eye strain, easier viewing, larger area of view, etc.
but then you choose all very small displays.
unless you are sitting a couple inches away from the screen then you are going to want something larger to help with any of these types of possible viewing issue(s).
27" is the smallest i would ever recommend, but 32" would be your best option for a 16:9 display.

don't know how the technologies have improved over the last years but when investigating a new monitor for myself on multiple occasions IPS offered the best options at the shops i visited to see the differences i person.
do I really need to 144+ Hz
when deciding the refresh rate i will always base it on the maximum fps i plan to reach in the majority of my games.

75fps is pretty low for 1080p gaming, so 75Hz may be a tad disappointing with frame smoothness, etc.

120Hz is a good option for a lot of types of games where 120fps is smooth enough for very comfortable viewing.

144-165Hz is of course awesome to have but whether you'll have the hardware to process that many frames for any good portion of your games becomes the question.

for "competitive style" games where graphical quality becomes less of an important factor the more frames the better so i would be aiming for 200Hz if this is main type of gaming you participate in.
I've heard Curved nor Va monitors are bad so much
don't understand your grammar here.
you mean that many times you have heard that curved displays are not a good thing?

i've been through a couple of them now and in my experience
with a medium curve, maybe 1800-1900R, it is a much better experience than any flat screen.

Reactions: RedNeckBack

RedNeckBack

Prominent
May 20, 2022
the fact that you'd have upgraded from VA to IPS may help some but nothing worth the money spent.
No, mine is TN

you mention wanting "better eye health" which i would imagine means less eye strain, easier viewing, larger area of view, etc.
but then you choose all very small displays.
I mean less eye strain, mine is like 10 yo so I thought the new ones (flickerless, less blue light, etc. technologies I don't know if my monitor if has got it or not)

27" is the smallest i would ever recommend, but 32" would be your best option for a 16:9 display.
Why so ? I think 24" is best size 1080p and also to me. I think 27" or over should be QHD.
when deciding the refresh rate i will always base it on the maximum fps i plan to reach in the majority of my games.

75fps is pretty low for 1080p gaming, so 75Hz may be a tad disappointing with frame smoothness, etc.
I also don't have FreeSync technologies so I can't get more than 60 fps, If I get, tearing will be issue.

don't understand your grammar here.
you mean that many times you have heard that curved displays are not a good thing?

i've been through a couple of them now and in my experience
with a medium curve, maybe 1800-1900R, it is a much better experience than any flat screen.
I saw a lot of videos about why Curved and VA monitors are suck for any gaming. That's why I wouldn't prefer either VA or Curved.

I also don't have FreeSync technologies so I can't get more than 60 fps, If I get, tearing will be issue.
this would be a limit of your 60Hz monitor, not the software technology being used.

you can get as many frames per second as your CPU can provide and your GPU can render.
the monitor technology has nothing at all to do with how many frames your system can produce.

G-Sync/Freesync just offers a type of buffer to keep these frames in sync, it has nothing at all to do with how many can be produced/viewed.
Why so ? I think 24" is best size 1080p and also to me. I think 27" or over should be QHD.
there are many very nice 1080p displays(monitors & TVs) offering over 24" screens.
24" is tiny and that aspect does not help with any aforementioned issues.

you should probably go out into the public arena(Best Buy, WalMart, local computer shop, etc) and have a good look at what is available.
even getting a nice 32" 120Hz TV would be much better than any of the monitors you have listed in the OP.