Question Stuck on VGA light. So lost.

GN.-HairyCaulk

Commendable
Apr 21, 2020
I’ve had a rough week tryna figure out what’s going on with my pc (specs below). For context, I got a new pc 4 months ago (built myself, all new parts), and it worked flawlessly for those 4 months, then last week I noticed the graphics driver for my rx 6800 xt kept getting uninstalled or something each time I booted up after a shutdown. I’d have to reinstall it every boot but then it got to the point where while installing the driver, the screen would go black and never show. I went into safe mode 3 or 4 times using DDU to uninstall the driver but same result. I just blamed it on a dead gpu or whatever. I grabbed my current gpu (rx 5700 xt) from an old build and it worked fine for a few days, then on startup I would notice that it would get stuck on the VGA part of the startup sequence. I moved it to the bottom slot of my Mobo and it ended up working for a day or two. Then yesterday I tried closing a game (Valorant) and my pc froze, went black, and then restarted after 2 or so minutes. When it tried to boot up again, it became stuck on the VGA light on my mobo again. I decided to change my psu to a brand new Corsair one I picked up at Micro Center, same thing, I would be able to load into windows, I would load the game, close it, then it would freeze and try to restart. Since the psu didn’t seem to be the problem, I removed all but 1 ram stick, even turning off xmp (like that would help but hey anything at this point). I’ve cleaned the sockets, changed power cable both internally and externally (I was using custom ones). And I’ve tried to reinstall windows but now it won’t even boot past the VGA light. So I gave up on my new specs and went to my old build but I went ahead and added my new storage to the old build, and now it’s doing it on here too. I know for a fact my old build worked 100%. I don’t know what’s going on. Could it be something with a virus?? Is that possible??

Specs
Ryzen 7 5800x
Asus tuf x570 wifi
64 gb gskill ram (4x16)
Samsung nvme ssd
Rx 6800 xt (new)
Rx 5700 xt (old)
Corsair rm750x

any and all ideas at this point would help, I’m lost.

I’ve had a rough week tryna figure out what’s going on with my pc (specs below). For context, I got a new pc 4 months ago (built myself, all new parts), and it worked flawlessly for those 4 months, then last week I noticed the graphics driver for my rx 6800 xt kept getting uninstalled or something each time I booted up after a shutdown. I’d have to reinstall it every boot but then it got to the point where while installing the driver, the screen would go black and never show. I went into safe mode 3 or 4 times using DDU to uninstall the driver but same result. I just blamed it on a dead gpu or whatever. I grabbed my current gpu (rx 5700 xt) from an old build and it worked fine for a few days, then on startup I would notice that it would get stuck on the VGA part of the startup sequence. I moved it to the bottom slot of my Mobo and it ended up working for a day or two. Then yesterday I tried closing a game (Valorant) and my pc froze, went black, and then restarted after 2 or so minutes. When it tried to boot up again, it became stuck on the VGA light on my mobo again. I decided to change my psu to a brand new Corsair one I picked up at Micro Center, same thing, I would be able to load into windows, I would load the game, close it, then it would freeze and try to restart. Since the psu didn’t seem to be the problem, I removed all but 1 ram stick, even turning off xmp (like that would help but hey anything at this point). I’ve cleaned the sockets, changed power cable both internally and externally (I was using custom ones). And I’ve tried to reinstall windows but now it won’t even boot past the VGA light. So I gave up on my new specs and went to my old build but I went ahead and added my new storage to the old build, and now it’s doing it on here too. I know for a fact my old build worked 100%. I don’t know what’s going on. Could it be something with a virus?? Is that possible??

Specs
Ryzen 7 5800x
Asus tuf x570 wifi
64 gb gskill ram (4x16)
Samsung nvme ssd
Rx 6800 xt (new)
Rx 5700 xt (old)
Corsair rm750x

any and all ideas at this point would help, I’m lost.
The new drive is dead and causing a issue with data curription as it power cycles.

DavidM012

Distinguished
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/ryzen-5000-ram-guide

Interesting that they used a 1200w power supply

What's the part number of your ram?

Thinking that your CPU is revving up into high performance mode and the power draw lead to the slow decline of the PSU.

What was your original PSU?

You can take the nvme drive off see if the system posts easily enough somehow I don't think it's that simple.

AMD dropped a high end cpu into AM4 and didn't change the socket between generations so maybe that's throwing people a bit since you have a huge variety of mid range mobos.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-tuf_gaming-x570_plus-wifi-motherboard,6273.html

'The VRMs are covered by decent-size heatsinks which did the job at stock, Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) and while overclocking. Asus states a 12+2 VRM setup, but the board has a ‘true’ rating of 4x3 + 2, since the controller, the ASP 1106GGQW is a 6-phase unit in 4+2 mode. Power is fed to the VRMs through a required 8-pin EPS connector, plus an optional 4-pin which will provide more than enough power for the Ryzen 3 CPU lineup. I’m not sure how overclocking would go on the beefier chips, especially the 3950X, but the TUF board held up just fine with a 3700X.'

'Overclocking on this board yielded 4.224 GHz using 1.343V on the core. While the clock speed is a bit higher than what was achieved on the X570 Aorus Elite, this was due to spread spectrum and the floating BCLK as we used the same 42.25 multiplier. Anything above this voltage left us with temperatures above 90C, too hot for comfort. Regardless, anything above this multiplier at this voltage caused an error in stress testing.

Load voltage was fairly stable with LLC set to auto. With a BIOS setting of 1.343V, load in Windows turned into 1.328V. Raising the LLC to 2 ended eliminated the droop and we ended up at 1.328V which was similar to the Gigabyte overclocking results.

We successfully loaded up our GSKill Trident Z Neo 4x8GB DDR4 3600 16-16-16-36 sticks without issue here as well. Beyond that value, the memory divider hits 1:2 situation and overall performance tends to drop without much-increased speeds. So we aren’t pushing it past that point. AMD said DDR4 3600 is the sweet spot and we're able to reach that without issue on this board.'

The board looks solid enough but they were using an r7 3700x for the review so you pushed the boat out a bit further with an r7 5800x and maybe hit a speed bump.

Because the board is the cheapest in the range so there was summink going on with the power delivery system unbeknownst all the while until it eventually failed.

Last edited:

GN.-HairyCaulk

Commendable
Apr 21, 2020
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/ryzen-5000-ram-guide

Interesting that they used a 1200w power supply

What's the part number of your ram?

Thinking that your CPU is revving up into high performance mode and the power draw lead to the slow decline of the PSU.

What was your original PSU?

You can take the nvme drive off see if the system posts easily enough somehow I don't think it's that simple.

I used a gigabyte 750w power supply originally (I thought since gigabyte is a good brand for other components it would be an okay power supply). I did take out the two new drives I transferred over and it actually seemed to help with closing games and such, no more freezing and force restarts. I will try and take off any performance modes for either the ram or cpu. I did think that a 750w was enough but maybe I need 1000+?

DavidM012

Distinguished
well I'm thinking along the lines that putting a new psu in after a fault doesn't necessarily rectify what went wrong in the first place like the psu slowly dying causing some sort of electronic fault but if it didn't cause a fault elsewhere in the system then I suppose you could try a larger psu but then again trying to put more power through it when there might be a bug in the electronics after the fail could also make things worse.

So go one step at a time.

if you happen to have a low powered gpu around you could try that to get the system working for diagnostic purposes so reducing the power draw and when you're reasonably convinced that the system is OK then you have an idea that the system is drawing a high load

then you can get an expensive 1000+ psu and put your high powered gpu in with it. Because all the components are drawing power you can't say oh it's the cpu or gpu because it's the cpu and gpu together on what is not necessarily the strongest mobo in this category.

Reactions: white.a.drew

GN.-HairyCaulk

Commendable
Apr 21, 2020
well I'm thinking along the lines that putting a new psu in after a fault doesn't necessarily rectify what went wrong in the first place like the psu slowly dying causing some sort of electronic fault but if it didn't cause a fault elsewhere in the system then I suppose you could try a larger psu but then again trying to put more power through it when there might be a bug in the electronics after the fail could also make things worse.

So go one step at a time.

if you happen to have a low powered gpu around you could try that to get the system working for diagnostic purposes so reducing the power draw and when you're reasonably convinced that the system is OK then you have an idea that the system is drawing a high load

then you can get an expensive 1000+ psu and put your high powered gpu in with it. Because all the components are drawing power you can't say oh it's the cpu or gpu because it's the cpu and gpu together on what is not necessarily the strongest mobo in this category.
Even going back to my old build, which worked 100% before I added my new components in, I still get stuck on boot up. I did add my older gpu to my new system could I have somehow caused it to mess up?
Old Build
Ryzen 5 3600
asus tuf x570 (same one)
Rx 5700 xt
16gb gskill ram (2x8)
650w evga gold psu
At this point it does seem like something is off with the power and adding new or old components might just be a waste of time and money.

DavidM012

Distinguished
I suspect the mobo adding the new cpu and gpu caused it to mess up and putting the old gpu in the board reduced the power draw as maybe the cpu wasn't working so hard so it seemed to work a while but the cpu was still pulling a lot of power and it eventually hit the wall with the power phases on the board.

Why'd the nvme drive go wrong well they're both on the pci-e bus so the psu was then subsequently failing to deliver enough power.

So since it was under powered maybe nothing cooked but maybe the mobo developed a glitch.

The review hints that using a beefier cpu on this board isn't a good idea so then you're at sea looking for a higher end board to go with your 5800x where you should be reading the review of any product you're planning to buy.

You will have to also cross reference the memory to ensure that it will be compatible with the new board and cpu combo. And of course apply the beefier psu too.

Just dropping the 5800x into a mid range board was essentially what threw you off. Strange how the more things change the more they stay the same. Amd builds had a similar problem with the old fx line up.

There was a range of weak am3 boards that would never work with am3+ cpus but they'd fit in the socket but the power phases simply couldn't support the cpu.

Last edited:

GN.-HairyCaulk

Commendable
Apr 21, 2020
I suspect the mobo adding the new cpu and gpu caused it to mess up and putting the old gpu in the board reduced the power draw as maybe the cpu wasn't working so hard so it seemed to work a while but the cpu was still pulling a lot of power and it eventually hit the wall with the power phases on the board.

Why'd the nvme drive go wrong well they're both on the pci-e bus so the psu was then subsequently failing to deliver enough power.

So since it was under powered maybe nothing cooked but maybe the mobo developed a glitch.
Well I actually am using an entirely different system, same mobo but an older one that is installed in a different case, it would make sense if I just plopped my old cpu into the new mobo but I didn’t. Only thing I mixed was gpu and nvme storage. I currently don’t have a lower powered gpu on hand. I think I will look for a more expensive mobo that can handle both the new cpu and gpu. At this point it has to be a power issue right?