Question Stuck on welcome screen, unable to restart in Safe Mode as screen will freeze ?

HugeHunkHarry

Commendable
Dec 13, 2019
So I was on my laptop when chrome suddenly froze out of nowhere and eventually I minimized it to find the taskbar frozen. With that I restarted my laptop and after it turned back on I found that I was unable to login as it will stay stuck on the "Welcome" loading page. I've also discovered that the three icons at the bottom right also cause the screen to freeze when I interact with them. As such I cannot restart it with the power icon to get into safe mode unless there is an alternative that someone could provide.

Some things I've tried have been opening the inside of the laptop and unplugging the battery from the motherboard (I was going to with the ssd as well but I could not get it unscrewed) and plugging in a usb with the windows media creation tool on it (it did nothing). I'm wondering if anyone could provide any ideas on how to fix this as I'm kind of stuck here. Also for some extra info, the laptop has been unable to connect to wi-fi after I first restarted and whenever the screen does freeze from me interacting with the icons on the bottom right, it eventually returns back to the screen before you sign. I'd really appreciate any help provided.

HugeHunkHarry

Commendable
Dec 13, 2019
Have you tried using the Alt+F4 method to prompt the screen for shutdown/reboot? You can get into Safe Mode by following steps 4, 5, 6 or 7 in this guide.
I tried step 4, 5, and was unable to do 6 or 7. As for 4, when I restarted it didn't bring up any boot options and just brought me back to the home screen and for step 5, when I typed in the command what I got was "The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The requested system device cannot be found". Not sure what I should do. Any ideas? Also not sure if its relevant but now cannot get past the very first screen when you press space to let you enter you password. Whenever I click space it now just freezes.

HugeHunkHarry

Commendable
Dec 13, 2019
Have you tried using the Alt+F4 method to prompt the screen for shutdown/reboot? You can get into Safe Mode by following steps 4, 5, 6 or 7 in this guide.
So I've tried a couple more things now with no success. I tried sfc /scannow and got the message "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation". I tried the startup repair and got "Startup Repair couldn't repair your Pc" and similar results with System Restore. I then decided to just try to reinstall windows with a usb and while doing that I got the message "Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources|install.esd. Make sure all files required are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x8007000D
I'll try doing a fresh install of the media creation tool on the usb but if that doesn't work I'm not sure what I can do as I can't even login to the laptop. Any suggestions?

HugeHunkHarry

Commendable
Dec 13, 2019
What model laptop?
How old?
Does it have SSD?

It's possible SSD has exhausted all write cycles and locked itself.
In this case you'd have to get a new SSD.
Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-51-55WL )
2-3 years old
Yeah it does. The M.2 one it came with.
Edit: Ended up buying another ssd and managed to get windows installed. Thank you for all the suggestions.

Last edited: