[SOLVED] Stuck Receive Link Speed on my laptop.

sastrasena

Prominent
Sep 3, 2021
It all started when I changed my connection to my 2.4GHz router to print. After that I switched back to my 5GHz connection, but now it is stuck at 13/86mbps (it changes but only by 10mbps per time) link speeds, my 2,4GHz connection still reach regular link speeds but my 5GHz connection should reach around 300-500/500-600mbps

All my other devices work fine, my 2.4Ghz connection also works. I've restarted the router but only fixed it for 10-20 min until the bad link speeds came back, I slept then woke up today after 10 hours and my laptop started quite quick but now stuck at 13/86mbps again.

Laptop in Lenovo Legion 5, WiFi 6 chip
Router is a Prolink PRC3801 (Dual band, 2.4GHz and 5Ghz)

I've even network resetted my laptop and no luck

Solution
It is not likely you are going to get anywhere near 600mbps unless you are actually using wifi6 and you can use 160mhz channels. About the best you can expect is around 300mbps using 802.11ac assuming you are not sitting on top of the router.

That is the problem with modern wifi. It all sounds really good but they are ignoring the major issue that there is limited bandwidth and when multiple people try to use the same bandwidth everyone's performance drops.

When you cut the channel width you are reducing your exposure to interference so the signal tends to be more stable but you are giving up faster data transfer rates in exchange.

There is no solution to this issue really and wifi6 is making it much worse since it wants to...

sastrasena

Prominent
Sep 3, 2021
Update 1: Bandwith was 80MHz I changed it to 40MHz, way more consistent but only speeds of 100mps instead of 280 mbps, so if there's a fix, it would still be nice

It is not likely you are going to get anywhere near 600mbps unless you are actually using wifi6 and you can use 160mhz channels. About the best you can expect is around 300mbps using 802.11ac assuming you are not sitting on top of the router.

That is the problem with modern wifi. It all sounds really good but they are ignoring the major issue that there is limited bandwidth and when multiple people try to use the same bandwidth everyone's performance drops.

When you cut the channel width you are reducing your exposure to interference so the signal tends to be more stable but you are giving up faster data transfer rates in exchange.

There is no solution to this issue really and wifi6 is making it much worse since it wants to use 160mhz channels where now in addition to other users you have things like weather radar to deal with.

Wifi6E has hope since there is massive amounts of new bandwidth on the 6g radio band but I am sure that too will eventually get overcrowded.

You have pretty much done all you can. The only options you actually have is try other radio channels and/or change the channel width.

You could check for newer drivers, wifi6 is finally getting better but there still seem to be issues at times.

Solution