alexbehindall

Commendable
Sep 29, 2017
Hi, i have been with a Coaxial Cable provider giving me insane speeds for a while now, but for the past 10~ weeks the old modem decided to die, and i don't another one of those garbage ones my ISP sends me for some silly price.

I have done extensive searches on Coaxial Cable Modem/Router combos and no "good quality" solution appears other then what i already got, i'm looking for a medium tier router / modem.

Another solution that i decided i should look into is for an individual router that translates from Coaxial Cable to CAT, but couldn't find any of those either, who knew Routers were so hard to find.

So my third solution is can you simply buy a coaxial to ethernet adapter? Or am in some serious issues there with bottlenecking etc.

All this so i can just have a router maybe that has rainbow lights.

And yes, i am already in the process of drilling holes in all my walls for ethernet.

Solution
That device will not work.
You need a actual cable modem. Lots of things run on coax for example cable tv. You can not hook up that device or a cable modem and expect to get tv out of it you need a special cable tv box.

The device you link is called MoCA and is used only between devices INSIDE your house it does not have the ability to talk to the coax cable coming in from the ISP

They have a whole list of modems on their site but they all pretty much look the same. This is one of the more popular ones but you can use a lower model if you are not buying a fast internet connection.
https://www.cox.com/residential/support/arris--surfboard-sb6190.html

You can then hook any router that has a ethernet WAN port to this modem.
Hi, i have been with a Coaxial Cable provider giving me insane speeds for a while now, but for the past 10~ weeks the old modem decided to die, and i don't another one of those garbage ones my ISP sends me for some silly price.

I have done extensive searches on Coaxial Cable Modem/Router combos and no "good quality" solution appears other then what i already got, i'm looking for a medium tier router / modem.

Another solution that i decided i should look into is for an individual router that translates from Coaxial Cable to CAT, but couldn't find any of those either, who knew Routers were so hard to find.

So my third solution is can you simply buy a coaxial to ethernet adapter? Or am in some serious issues there with bottlenecking etc.

All this so i can just have a router maybe that has rainbow lights.

And yes, i am already in the process of drilling holes in all my walls for ethernet.

Just go with the modem and router seperately. The combo units are all garbage and any other solution will probably be enterprise grade, aka expensive. Your ISP should habe a compatible modem list on their website and as far as routers, there are plenty of models to choose frim at all kinds of prices.

Last edited:
What you want to do is to get Cable Modem compatible with your ISP. This is a device you'd call "Cable-to-CAT adapter". Expect to pay $100 or less. Then get any "cable router" with Ethernet WAN interface you like, whenever with rainbow lights or playing Beethoven. That way, you're in control of the router, and don't pay ridiculous $10/mo "leasing fee" to the ISP.

alexbehindall

Commendable
Sep 29, 2017
What you want to do is to get Cable Modem compatible with your ISP. This is a device you'd call "Cable-to-CAT adapter". Expect to pay $100 or less. Then get any "cable router" with Ethernet WAN interface you like, whenever with rainbow lights or playing Beethoven. That way, you're in control of the router, and don't pay ridiculous $10/mo "leasing fee" to the ISP.

I think my ISP only gives the issued ones which is the same model all over again and it's too big and annoying, however i will still be asking for a new one. If i can't get that going can i use something like a

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Bo...x+Adapter&qid=1591957538&s=electronics&sr=1-1

it will be coax from wall -> Actiontec converter -> new modem/router combo -> functioning wireless internet?

and i have already gotten started on my midi beethoven rainbow lights symphony.

If none of that prevails i'll be using the pass through with the "new" basic ISP modem.

You need a actual cable modem. Lots of things run on coax for example cable tv. You can not hook up that device or a cable modem and expect to get tv out of it you need a special cable tv box.

The device you link is called MoCA and is used only between devices INSIDE your house it does not have the ability to talk to the coax cable coming in from the ISP

They have a whole list of modems on their site but they all pretty much look the same. This is one of the more popular ones but you can use a lower model if you are not buying a fast internet connection.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

alexbehindall

Commendable
Sep 29, 2017

Yeah the modem you provided to me is insanely expensive where i am located (australia), it costs more then those gaming modems that look like concussed spiders.

I will be using the cheapest cable-highest output modem/router i can find and be connecting it to the new modem/router i want. (sort of like a pass through for the new modem).

Thanks for the assistance.

Last edited:
It depends how fast your internet is. That modem can run on gigabit connections. That is not even the most expensive the 3.1 models are even more. You want to get one that matches the speed you are purchasing from the ISP. Modems that run on the 150mbps plan are cheaper

Do not get a modem/router if you are going to connect a second router behind it. It is cheaper to buy just the modem. Most the arris models use the word "gateway" in devices that have both a modem and a router. The modems they do not have that word

Reactions: SamirD