Studio 8 loses audio sync when burning

Hiya,

I've got my hour long video done in Studio 8.12 . Nohing too fancy -
fades, some bg music, etc. It looks and sounds fine when playing back
in Studio. When I burn the image to the hard drive, it looks fine.
However, when I burn it to DVD, about half an hour in, it loses audio
sync for a while. In a section about 50 mins in, the audio returns to
normal.

Any tips on how to correct this? I locked everything, and inserted
some black titles, like I've read to.

oj

OJ,
according to Pinnacle officials the Studio software series was
made for editing jobs up to 20 mins maximum because nobody
would care to see longer home made movies.
See http://www.de.tomshardware.com/video/20040212/pinnacle-studio-13.html
for details (sorry - German language only).
Therefore it seems quite natural that the program frequently
crashes or examines other errors when trying to edit or burn
longer files ;-).

Martin

> I've got my hour long video done in Studio 8.12 . Nohing too fancy -
> fades, some bg music, etc. It looks and sounds fine when playing back
> in Studio. When I burn the image to the hard drive, it looks fine.
> However, when I burn it to DVD, about half an hour in, it loses audio
> sync for a while. In a section about 50 mins in, the audio returns to
> normal.

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:58:23 +0200, "Martin Doppelbauer"
<Martin.Doppelbauer@t-online.de> wrote:

>OJ,
>according to Pinnacle officials the Studio software series was
>made for editing jobs up to 20 mins maximum because nobody
>would care to see longer home made movies.
>See http://www.de.tomshardware.com/video/20040212/pinnacle-studio-13.html
>for details (sorry - German language only).
>Therefore it seems quite natural that the program frequently
>crashes or examines other errors when trying to edit or burn
>longer files ;-).
>
>Martin
>
>> I've got my hour long video done in Studio 8.12 . Nohing too fancy -
>> fades, some bg music, etc. It looks and sounds fine when playing back
>> in Studio. When I burn the image to the hard drive, it looks fine.
>> However, when I burn it to DVD, about half an hour in, it loses audio
>> sync for a while. In a section about 50 mins in, the audio returns to
>> normal.

No longer than 20 minutes. Poppy-cock!! I've done several videos in
the 1 hour range without that problem. I have had sync problems but
they turned out to be transition problems that screwed up the sync.
Also, I found out if I used slow motion that would also muck up the
sync between video and sound.

Off the question, but I've just finished burning a 50 minute
dvd with 9.08 with only one (eventually solvable) glitch. In the
opening titles , done with white lettering on black background, the
soundtrack music would come out skipping on the rendered product.
I found the only way to fix the problem (and I tried everything else
e.g. different burn rates, defragging, different sound and video
quality, ect) was to put a background photo with the titles. Not sure
why, but that stopped the audio stuttering. PINNACLE TAKE NOTE,
PLEASE. Ken

Susan

orljustin@aol.com (OJ) wrote:

>Hiya,
>
>I've got my hour long video done in Studio 8.12 . Nohing too fancy -
>fades, some bg music, etc. It looks and sounds fine when playing back
>in Studio. When I burn the image to the hard drive, it looks fine.
>However, when I burn it to DVD, about half an hour in, it loses audio
>sync for a while. In a section about 50 mins in, the audio returns to
>normal.
>
>Any tips on how to correct this? I locked everything, and inserted
>some black titles, like I've read to.
>
>oj

Hi OJ,

There are any number of reasons why you may be losing audio sync, and
you might never be able to reliably figure out what is going wrong.
The easiest way around your problem is to go about your editing in a
more realistic manner.

All I'm about to tell you has been covered a hundred times on the
Studio forums, so you should go there and use the search function to
learn how to successfully edit using Studio. Just ignore all the
Pinnacle Sock Puppets who always post things like they can easily make
ten hour projects with no problems. Once you read anyone who says
they have no problems with Studio, you know to ignore them. If you
have been reading the Studio forum and still made an hour long project
despite all the warnings people have given, then you need to find a
new hobby.

I am assuming you are using DV AVI as your begriming video.

You might be able to render the entire project minus the DVD stuff
(menus) to one huge AVI file, bring this back into Studio and set it
up for a DVD. But, the safest way is to break your big project into
smaller parts (such as wherever you want to set a chapter point).

Basically, the best way to edit in Studio is always to work with small
segments and render them, then re-combine the rendered segments into
your final project. Studio can usually handle this work-flow very
well.

I suggest you do the following:

Open your big project in timeline view and remove all the DVD stuff.
Save your project to a new name! Then, go through and make sure each
title is saved as an individual title. In other words, that it
actually exists as a separate file in the title folder.

Now, highlight the first five minutes or so of your timeline (you have
to highlight everything, including music and titles, voice overs,
sound effects, etc.) Do not copy half a transition. Either stop
before the transition, or after it. Many times there is a natural
break in your video that makes a segment complete. Other times, it is
just where music ends, or something like that.

Close that project, and open a new one. Paste what you just copied.
Your success will depend upon the stability of your system, and on how
much memory you have, because only RAM will carry all the elements of
such a copy and paste. If you don't have enough RAM, you will
probably lose your titles and things like smartsound tracks and voice
overs. Since you saved your titles, you can replace any "red" titles
with the saved versions. Likewise, you can recreate or replace any
music or audio. If you can't copy and paste 5 minutes, you may have
to use shorter segments or remove the audio files and recreate them.

Keep doing this until you have a five to 15 minute segments and render
these as DV AVI files. Check each and make sure they are all right.
If you lose sync, it means your problem is something (title, effect,
bad video, etc.) in that segment.

Again, anywhere you would set a chapter point should be a new file.

When you have all the segments rendered, TURN SCENE DETECTION OFF,
and open a new project. Bring in the segments. Studio will detect
only one big scene since you have scene detection turned off. Line up
all the segments on your timeline and rebuild your DVD.

Have Studio make a DVD and save it to disk, do not have it burn
directly to a DVD. Now, use Studio or another program to burn your
new DVD.

One final comment. You can get a tremendous amount of help on the
Studio boards, but you MUST learn to tell between the helpful posts
and the idiot/ sock puppet posts. Unfortunately, Studio 8 is now an
abandoned program, so you won't get much new help unless you upgrade
to Studio 9.

Hope this helps,

Susan