Studio Setup - Sound Setup help

kyrios_eustace

Reputable
Oct 8, 2018
So i am looking fro two setups here
One for me, and one for a buddy of mine.

So i'll explain what i am lookin for first -

I want to Set up a little mini studio for recording instruments, and a little sound studio on my PC for creating music.
I am wondering what kind of hardware would be best if i had a 2k$ budget so spend
my rough idea is i would need a sound card, some open backed headphones, and a few different types of mics.
I currently have a Blue Yeti Mic and these: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826816085&cm_re=corsair_headphones-_-26-816-085-_-Product

Now for my friend, he wants to stream and record gaming vids, and was interested in my idea of using a sound card and some high quality stereo headphones at my suggestion.
his budget would be 600$ - 800$ for a budget, but decent quality setup.

any suggestions and ideas would be appreciated!

Ralston18

Titan
What recording software do you plan to use?

Check the spec's accordingly. Applications usually list in some format such as minimum, recommended, and best.

You do not want minimum and go for best if within budget.

The hardware must be able to support the software which must be able to support your requirements.

kyrios_eustace

Reputable
Oct 8, 2018

im not quite sure to be completely honest - Would you have any suggestions?

Ralston18

Titan
Certainly:

What software do you plan to use for your recording projects? You may already have a product and/or may be considering other applications.

Go to the software manufacturer's websites and check the hardware specifications.

In addition, read the applicable software User Guides/Manuals. Visit the FAQs and Forums. What can you truly do and not do via the software?

Look and learn.

When it comes to music much is very subjective. What sounds good to me (via "high quality stereo headphones") may not necessarily appeal to someone else. Quality, fidelity, and so forth becomes moot.

Point being that no matter what hardware, what software, what quality/fidelity it all tends to be subjective.

You or your listener's either like or do not like your "sound".

Key, I think, is having software that allows you and your buddy to edit, mix, etc. your music to what you like.

You need software that can do the recording, the mixing and the editing

And the hardware to support that software.

The results are up to you. The rest is up to your intended audience and fans.

kyrios_eustace

Reputable
Oct 8, 2018

I appreciate the feedback and help here

i have been told to just use Audacity to record with, then use a second software for editing and mixing, and i hear Adobe Audition is pretty good, but i will keep doing some research and comparing software and such till i find one that meets my needs and that i enjoy using.

As for the hardware, i think i have gotten a good enough idea of what i would need, but i am unsure whether a sound card is necessary, and i have been suggested to maybe get an external sound card and an amp also, so i still have a lot to look into haha

Ralston18

Titan
Audacity may be a good choice.

Free, open source.

Overall had a good reputation last time I tinkered around with it.

Do be sure that if you do download Audacity that you go to the original source site.

Watch out for 3rd party sites. Never know what else they may slip in with the download and installation.