Macif

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2014
I'm looking for a new headset to use for gaming. Since the frame or what I should call it has broken on my old set. And I'm a little curious about some user experiences regarding certain brands.

Basically I'm interested in studio headphones. Since in my experience regular ones always break after around a year. While the old studio headphones I had at one point wasn't usuable in the end, due to the cable getting worn out. But the frame itself was still fine. To avoid that I figured that a detachable cable is a must for my use.

I've been looking at both the Audio Technica ATH-M40x and the M50x. But my main concern here is the build quality, since the hinges on the M50x dont inspire confidence. On the other hand I've heard people say that the M40x feels cheaper than the M50x but they have a more neutral sound.

Another pair is the Shure SRH840. But I've read some complaints about clicking noises on the Shure SRH440 which uses a similar design. So I'm concerned about this on the SRH840 as well.

On the other hand there might be other studio headphones out there. So if anybody has a suggestion for another model then I'd appreciate that as well. 160 USD is about the budget I would like to use for this. I'd prefere a closed back pair for my use, preferably a neutral sound representation. But not a deal breaker.

I'm already looking at the DT 770 Pro for audio projects, since I enjoy mixing and sound design in my spare time. And while I know that some people use these for gaming I'd rather want to avoid messing up the cable. And save such a pair just for mixing and sound design.

Solution
D
Really if you need closed back just get the DT770. The 80 ohm model has the best ( least bright ) treble and doesn't require a headphone amp. You could also look at the AKG 361 or 371. Not much else in the price range worth recommending that's closed back.

The M50X is way overrated. Uncomfortable with bloated bass that bleeds into and colors the mids.
D

Deleted member 217926

Really if you need closed back just get the DT770. The 80 ohm model has the best ( least bright ) treble and doesn't require a headphone amp. You could also look at the AKG 361 or 371. Not much else in the price range worth recommending that's closed back.

The M50X is way overrated. Uncomfortable with bloated bass that bleeds into and colors the mids.

Reactions: Macif
Solution

Macif

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2014

I haven't thought about the AKG 361 and 371. You wouldn't happen to know how the QC is for those? Since the way the cups are attached concerns me. Since based on what I have read they can get loose over time.