Question Studio XPS 9100 Turning off and on constantly ?

Manny.Pardo

Prominent
May 26, 2020
My computer constantly turns off and on. Just a black screen and unexpectedly. I have asked this question before and thought I had fixed it.

I had asked this question before and thought it was a problem with the stock heatsink. I noticed that the PC was having performance issues and was overheating a lot. It would then turn off after a while. I assumed it was the CPU overheating which would turn off the computer. The plastic frame that held it down to the motherboard had cracked and no longer properly worked as intended.

I just installed the new replacement part today. It booted to desktop. I then started to update it and monitor it via taskmanager. I noticed the CPU usage went down and it was no longer overheating so I had assumed it was fixed but then it black screened while I was downloading updates. I checked to see if the power supply was ok by pressing and holding down the button beside the LED light on the back of the computer. It stayed green so the power supply is fine. So if the power supply is fine and the new heatsink and fan are fine what could the problem be now? I honestly do not really know what it could be. Maybe a bios issue? I wouldn't know. I'm thinking of a software issue.

I got a USB and Windows 10 key. I could wipe everything and hope that fixes it but I really rather not have it come to that. Any suggestions and possible answers would be greatly appreciated. Also, the warranty expired almost over a decade ago.

Last edited:
If it was a CPU overheat the PC would shutdown completely and then give you a Thermal Warning on next boot. if you are doing stuff and you get just a black screen it could be either the monitor or video card IMO.

Install a remote program, anydesk is good. install it, setup an unattended password. Once it goes black use another PC or your phone and attempt to remote into it and see if it is still working fine. if it is then it is a monitor/video issue.

Manny.Pardo

Prominent
May 26, 2020
If it was a CPU overheat the PC would shutdown completely and then give you a Thermal Warning on next boot. if you are doing stuff and you get just a black screen it could be either the monitor or video card IMO.

Install a remote program, anydesk is good. install it, setup an unattended password. Once it goes black use another PC or your phone and attempt to remote into it and see if it is still working fine. if it is then it is a monitor/video issue.
I forgot to mention this. Ever since I changed the heatsink and fan it has been a lot cooler. I was able to get to desktop only on the first and second boot. The task manager told me that the CPU was no longer having performance issues like before. I'm pretty sure I had fixed the problem but now its crashing for a different reason. On another site a person commented on how it could be a chipset malfunction, probably from mishandling and age.

Latest posts