Study Names MacBook Pro 'Best Performing Windows Laptop'

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I make all of my family and friends do a clean install upon receiving any new computer from a manufacturer. The crap that comes on them is just ridiculous, and sometimes even dangerous.

Immoral Medic

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
So just reformat the Windows machines. Seems unfair to judge a clean install of windows to a machine with tons of crap installed on it. The mac was setup to win this study clearly. Whoever did this study is ridiculous for not using a base for all the systems benchmarked. Also, this article doesn't state anything about price points or the customization of any of the systems. I'm guessing they maxed out the macbook pro and got the lowest Windows customizations of the systems if we are looking at his previous "mistake". I can't trust anything like this...

True. As we forget about CNET more and more, they have to come up with garbage to keep themselves in the news. It's their version of a sex tape.

tlg

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
I own a 2010 macbookpro 15" and my friend owns a toshiba laptop from the same year with same specs, same 15" and both are also 1600x900. All I can tell u is he has been playing WoW and Dota 2 etc with much higher FPS than me. I ca no more than 10fps in WoW raids and he gets more than 40. Why? cause macbookpro has no proper cooling and half year after owning it its cooked lol. Jumps at nearly 100c within the minute and ofc throttling hard after that lol. naturally i got my laptop free from a contest, im not stupid enough to pay 2200euro (the price back then) for a 1000 euro worth normal laptop. Also, how about comparing laptops after doing a fresh install to get rid of the bloatware of all these companies, you "experts" at CNET? They mention that the other laptops are loosing due to bloatware lol. How obvious it can be that this review was written by people who receive money from Apple..

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
This is completely stupid. Anyone who can get a clean install of windows onto a mac is clearly going to do a clean install onto any other machine they purchase as well.
The average consumer that has to live with the crapware that comes on windows laptops doesn't have a clue how to get windows onto a mac.

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
I get what they're going for here, and I'm all in favor of any push to get PC manufacturers to install less crapware on their computers. However, it is an odd comparison, as the study assumes the PC users aren't tech savvy enough to install Windows fresh, but that the Mac users are. Given that this is meant to be an "Out of the box" test, Macbooks really shouldn't have been included. But perhaps this is meant for those Mac users that have Windows installed at the Apple store?

I always do fresh Windows installs on any laptop I purchase. From that perspective, my Macbook Pro was by far the worst laptop I've ever owned. The drivers were less mature or feature rich than most PC equivalents, and they ate relatively large amounts of CPU time for no particularly good reason. Optimizing things at a BIOS/EFI level wasn't really an option either.

Beyond the day-to-day frustrations, that machine had several hardware problems after the first year (CD drive, keyboard, LCD screen, track pad). All my Apple friends, that swear by their Macbooks, also have all had problems with almost all of their computers within one or two years. But their solution is just to buy the latest model every year.

Or you could just do a fresh install on some actual PCs and get the best of both worlds at half the price?

nlreynolds80

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
It's because of PC manufacturers' tendency to laden their machines down with "crapware" that Mac users really even have a claim of greater stability. A properly built PC with a clean install of Windows is rock-solid.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
This isn't common sense at all. They compared an OEM install to a clean install. Duh the Mac performs well it is a fresh/clean install of windows (which is even more money on top of the apple tax). It must be great buying something and having to spend more money to make it useful, they could have done the same for the other computers with fresh retail versions of windows.
Not trying to make a pun, but any time apple is included in a review they are generally comparing apples to oranges. If you compare fresh retail windows on one machine to another machine then it must be the same exact version. I wonder if they even considered 64bit and 32bit..... This is why it came from cnet and not toms.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Loading up PC's with crapware has been a huge issue for all new machines for a long time. Of course a fresh install with nothing but what you need is going to perform better and be much more stable. To add insult to injury manufactures like Dell don't want to help you with tech support if you did a clean install. I have an Alienware m17x and they refused to help with an issue becuase I had done a clean install which is standard procedure for me. They told me I would have to install the factory image. I told them to go frak themselves among other things. I have learned to keep a factory image on an spare drive and when I call tech support I put that in. I know when an issue is related to hardware and not software.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah whenever I buy new laptops I always take out all the crap that goes with them. Of course if you look at the average user they don't take that stuff into account. Even though the market is growing exponentially, us system builders are still a very small minority of PC owners. Most people don't have the time or want to take the time to build a PC and learn about all the components inside it. They just want to buy whatever bland, garbage system they can get off the shelf at Costco or Wal-Mart, that's who this survey caters to. It's definitely not us. :lol:

Study manages to compare apples to oranges. Not surprising, since it comes from the "geniuses" at CNet.
Do a clean install on any of the other machines before comparing anything.
D'oh!

festerovic said:
Hah! Validation. I got laughed at when I suggested MBPs for executive laptop orders...even when I said "rip the Mac OS off it, and run windows!"

Doesn't work like that in a corporate environment. For any technical issues, who are they gonna call for support? Not Microsoft, since it's a bootlegged installation, and certainly not Apple, since it's not the original configuration.
It's not the same as a PC for personal use, where you can do anything to it.

G

'Yeah, the macbook is better than all other laptops when you do a clean windows install, because the other ones don't come with a clean windows install'
If that's what the guy is basing his conclusions of, he's a frickin idiot. You go ahead and buy one of the most overpriced laptops, buy a new copy of an operating system and say it's better because it has a clean install. With they other ones you can probably just download the OS, use the key you got with the laptop itself and save money on both the laptop and OS while getting identical performance.
That's like saying a modified machine is better than other machines that are not modified and telling people to buy it non-modified.

Status
Not open for further replies.