Question Studying abroad with a desktop?

Rykuu Disaga

Distinguished
May 17, 2014
Ok, so I live in the US and will be taking a semester to study in Japan. I do not own a laptop (Uni has my bank account hostage), so I would like to bring my desktop so I'm not restricted to my phone, which is slowly starting to pass away. Now I'm left with to blatant questions. How am I going to safely transport a friggen desktop from the US to Japan without buying a uber expensive case with foam protectors, and will my computer die the moment I get a cable that lets me plug it into a Japanese outlet?

Since every flight seems to let me take a carry on and a check in luggage, my current best idea is to take out the GPUs, stuff chassis with packaged ramen further sealed in ziplock bags, put it all in a big enough suitcase, shove what clothing I can to serve as a buffer when the crew undoubtedly ignores my fragile label, and pray that nothing is tossed horrifically and that the AIO doesn't leak for some godforsaken reason.

For the plugging it into an outlet when I arrive, my current best idea is unpack, setup everything, go to the local shrine, and pray for 3 days and nights before returning and plugging it in.

Now for those of you who haven't lost the last of your grey matter after reading what is probably the most stupid improvising with no budget I have ever come up with, any suggestions on how best to accomplish this task without killing my computer or spending a dime? XD

Rykuu Disaga

Distinguished
May 17, 2014
You will also have to consider, japan uses 100v and often ungrounded outlets.

That is something I heard ^_^ I'll be doing some research into that as well, but hopefully someone on here will also be able to give me definite answers to validate anything else I find or point me in the right direction. I just don't want my shiz to break because I didn't think of something that I should have XD

Rykuu Disaga

Distinguished
May 17, 2014
What PSU does your system have?

I would take components that could break off (gpu, tower cooler) and package them separate from the PC.

For PSU, my computer has a corsair hx1000i. And Ya, definitely removing the GPUs, RAM, and capture card, though I wasn't sure if the AIO should be removed from the CPU or if that is fine sine it doesn't really stick out and the radiator is steady being screwed down on the top of the case. If you think it might cause problems if I leave it on, I will remove it XD

Sell the desktop, buy a laptop.

"a semester to study " means you'll need portable computing much more than a desktop.

Sell my baby?! How can you suggest such a monstrous thought! Besides, I don't really use note taking in class like most people do XP I can't study with traditional notes, so a laptop would't really do me as much good in that fact. I primarily use my desktop for content creation both personally and for class, work, and for gaming.

USAFRet

Titan
Sell my baby?! How can you suggest such a monstrous thought! Besides, I don't really use note taking in class like most people do XP I can't study with traditional notes, so a laptop would't really do me as much good in that fact. I primarily use my desktop for content creation both personally and for class, work, and for gaming.
PC's are shipped all over the world, without gong to severe lengths.
But, a liquid cooled desktop is not a good travel companion.

And as this is only a semester? I'd be strongly inclined to leave that at home.

Rykuu Disaga

Distinguished
May 17, 2014
PC's are shipped all over the world, without gong to severe lengths.
But, a liquid cooled desktop is not a good travel companion.

And as this is only a semester? I'd be strongly inclined to leave that at home.

I was considering leaving it at home and just using my phone, but it's 5-6 months I'll be there (semester + training program), and I was wanting to create vlogs while I was there as well to keep in practice learning for my video production classes (and hopefully skip some of those classes with applied personalized course credits). But then starting this month my phone has been dying outright, lasting maybe 3-4 hours with all the background shiz turned off, screen off most of the time, and any apps that use battery while asleep uninstalled :/ So while I'll probably be asking for the family to pitch in for a battery bank for Xmas, it's not something I want to rely on for access to the internet. And sure, there's probably a computer lab, but I I've had my "fun" with my current campus' computer labs already XD Overall, it's a hassle not to have my computer, so even if liquid cooled computers aren't travel friendly, knowing the safest way to travel with them is preferred over the recommendation to just not :p