Stumbed on which card to buy?

Nishua

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
I'm undecided about the video card I should actually purchase should I go with 1 9800GX2 1GB or get 2 8800 GTXs the only reason why I'm thinking this way is because reviews have stated that the 9800 GX2 doesn't have great multi-display support and I will have two monitors. Not only that but the 8800 Ultras aren't worth it because the GTXs are easily over clocked to Ultra speeds. I need some more help.

Should I even bother with getting 2 or just stick to one ?
I am a huge gamer and this PC will be used for gaming as well as media arts like 3D animation.

There are rumors that ATI will be releasing their new GPUs either this month or next month but I'm not even sure if its worth the wait. They haven't been beating out Nvidia for a while now so I don't see the point in waiting over speculation. I'm taking any advice really. I just want to know what is the best value and performance for $650

Nishua

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
I'm sorta in a hurry I wanted to buy a new computer in time for Age of Conan. This isn't just a video card purchase its a whole system. I guess I could wait, but are the new series going to be so great that I should be wait?

doomturkey

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Just be patient, there are some early benchmarks showing the Radeon 4870 beating the 9800GX2 by a good amount (whether they are real or not is up for speculation). And who knows how good the GeForce 99xx will be.
Patience my friend, patience.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

9800gx2 perform lower than any sli solution you listed, ignore it. You might want to go for g92 8800gts sli instead. It outperform GTX if ran without aa, even on large 1920x1200 resolutions, and only slightly below gtx with aa on.
http://en.expreview.com/2008/04/02/g80-vs-g92-hi-end-geforce-gfx-cards-round-up/?page=11

At $169.99 after MIR, 2 g92 8800gts in sli cost less than a single gtx. It's g92 core runs cooler than the gtx's g80 core, and overclocks easily to at least 750mhz will running cool and with no artifacting problems. Many people push it to 800mhz, at which point it outperforms an ultra.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134037

sailer

Splendid

It depends. Is that game the "Age of Conon the Barbarian" or the "Age of Conon O'Brian"? I'll wait for some reviews before getting too excited.

pauldh

Illustrious
Yeah, I would surely look at reviews first. I know very little about this game and it has not been one I have looked forward too. It's just there are at least 3 similar threads circulating now.

Really, until we see the game we won't know for sure what's the best GPU solution for it.

Nishua

Distinguished
May 12, 2008

Not to insult you but do you know how dumb you sound when you say something like that ? How could you have anything of valuable to say about a game that you have never played before? I'm just curious. It like saying you don't like pizza but never at a slice. I guess that why you said I "may" have to skip it.

crusoe74

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007

You should never buy a Gfx card for just a single game; I'm with everyone else; wait. Nvidia GT200 comes out end of June AT R770 in July

Nishua

Distinguished
May 12, 2008

The first words out of my mouth were "Not to insult you" so I don't know why are you saying I was being rude. To answer your question, yes I have played the game. I was in the beta. Even with that limited time with the game I wouldn't state how its going to turn up as a final product because it isn't finished yet.

Yes I could say something like " I think that game is going to be amazing because this that and the third" But my statement hows no weight and its just foolish to do so. I apologize if I was offensive those weren't my intentions.

I do appreciate the input given to me on this forum. I wouldn't say I'm buying a PC for one game but it was a factor in my purchase. I guess I could hold out until the end of the June and July and see what happens. Its going to be tough but hopefully things pan out. Once again thank you everyone for you responses.

pauldh

Illustrious

I often upgrade mainly for one game, but I do it after the game is out, my current card disappoints me, and I know from reviews which is the card to go for. Oblivion and Crysis are two such games.

But yeah, buying ahead of time for a game that isn't released isn't the best move. We don't know if the 8800GT or HD3870 would be better. Plus new cards are coming out so who know what the game will need and what will be the best.