Stumped by port forwarding

jenkinl1302

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
OK, let me preface this by saying I'm pretty new to this whole networking/port forwarding thing. My experience in the past has been limited to setting up a new router and getting computers to run on them. So forgive me if my terminology isn't 100% correct. That being said...

My situation is this: I have a Synology DS414 NAS, and I'm trying to gain access to it over the internet so I can use it for offsite backups from my office (as well as stream audio and auto-upload pictures from my and my wife's cell phone cameras). The NAS is wired into the LAN port of a new Asus RT-AC66U (R2), which is coming off of a LAN port from a Mediacom Cable-provided Hitron cgn2-res modem/wi-fi combo (R1). All other devices on the system (HTPC, BD player) are wired into the Asus. I've run the Synology e-z internet program, which automatically forwards ports on the router. I typed the WAN IP of R2 and it did forward through to the NAS. When running the e-z internet program, it also sets up the DDNS, which maps a self-chosen domain name to the ip address of the network. When I try to access the server by this domain name (or the associated ip), it takes me to the login screen for R1 when I'm on the network, an "oops" page if I'm accessing it outside of the network (like at work). I figured the error must lie in R1, so contacted Mediacom this morning, and they said that networking functionality of R1 was off, and the modem should be acting like a bridge to R2. They said I shouldn't even be able to access the admin portion of R1.

FWIW, I did have it all set up down at the office, and could access via the internet. At the office, I have a Linksys E1200 plugged into a Mediacom-provided DCP3008 (modem only). I followed the same steps and everything worked without a hitch. So I still think the problem must lie with R1 at home.

Thanks for taking the time to read through all of this. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I should also add that I have tried port forwarding through R1 to the static IP I've assigned to R2, and though canyouseeme.org says that the ports are open, I was not able to get into the NAS.

jenkinl1302

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
OK, an update. I went back into R1 admin, and re-enabled the port forwarding I had done earlier. Still doesn't work from within my home wi-fi, but I can access remotely. Not sure what that's about