Stumped... can't figure out how to oc my gfx card

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
I have a DIAMOND HD3650 1024 ddr2 which comes at 725 core + 400(800 effective) mem stock settings.

I have tried using ATITool, but it doesn't recognize my card :(
Catalyst Control Center won't allow me to OC via overdrive....

I can only oc via rivatuner.

I don't know if it is working though. Is it possible/safe (as far as oc'ing goes) for me to edit the bios with Radeon Bios Editor and then flash the bios?

PS: What are safe temps? I have read 80 degrees in stock 4850s... will mine be safe at say.... 70-80 still?

4745454b

Titan
Why are you looking to overclock? The 3650 is a pretty low end card, overclocking it probably won't get you what you want. If you want to play games, buy a better video card. (4670 or better) What you have already is fine for other things.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
I'm overclocking because:

1) I'm only in need of a few more FPS... maybe a 5-10% to get me into the low-mid-30s instead of just high 20s/low 30s.
2) I have a 450watt PSU with only 20 amps on the 12v
3) I got this video a just 2-3 months ago since it was the best thing in my pricerange (<$100 CANADIAN)
4) I cannot purchase from newegg- don't have a credit card... don't have paypal- nothing. It's out of the question.
5) My CPU is probably going to bottleneck anything much better than an HD4670... (What would be a good match for an E2180-E2200: that's what mine would be like for performance.)
,...when the HD4830 goes 40nm, my PSU might still be able to support it... i'm guessing it will be bottlenecked by my cpu again- but once it comes to <$100 I would definitely consider it.
6) This computer is only going to last me another 18 months.... after that I'm getting a new one for school.

I'm not a hardcore gamer- I haven't found any MP games I really love since CNC Renegade- not UT3, not COD, not FC2, haven't tried crysis MP since my fps are too low... unless I play at ALL LOW settings @ still unimpressive fps... these other games are good- but not great for MP... as a result I end up playing just SP most of the time- for which I sacrifice FPS for eye-candy. It would be nice to have a few more fps though....

4745454b

Titan
I understand what your trying to do, I'm simply pointing out I doubt you'll be able to get there. To get that bump, you'll need to increase the core and mem frequencies by at least that 10%, most likely around 15%. This might be doable for the GPU, but the ram is DDR2, and probably running near its max already. Getting another 10% is probably not possible. What will actually happen is you'll increase your heat, while barely getting what you want. Then you'll have a new problem when your card dies.

I recently switched over to Nvidia, so I might not remember these programs 100% correctly. There were two programs I used, ATI tool and ATI tray tools. Yes, these were two different programs. Try using them. You said you already tried one, was it the most up to date version? The one you used might be out of development, try the other.

Why don't you think Riva works? I wouldn't edit the bios. Whenever you want to game, load Riva and have it load the settings you want. Much less dangerous then editing a bios and leaving OC'ed values running all the time. Safe temps are around 80c. I wouldn't worry if you were at 80, no point in hanging around 70. Only start to worry when you cross 85c, and back down when you start to hit 90c.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
You guys are right.... however... I see overclocking as nearly "free" speed gains...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Diamond/HD_3650_1GB/24.html

In this review they pushed it to 850 core and 504 mem...

Mine has been stable @ 820 core and 400 mem... I don't think I can raise the mem even 1mhz because fc2 starts artifacting and then crashes...

However, the mem @ 420 does artifact less than the mem @ 440... so maybe 410 will have no artifacts... (though probably not worth it.)

...furthermore, for some reason- This card appears to be limited by: Guess what- SHADING POWER in Far Cry 2 @ 1280x1024 and below..... I'm sure that memory would only become the bottleneck on a 19" or 22" 16:10 monitor.

I get almost as much of an fps gain from turning off bloom as I do from moving from 1280x1024 to 800x600. (However, I can live without bloom- but I cannot live with a non-native horizontal resolution.... non-native horizontal looks like ARSE)

My cpu isn't the bottleneck either I assume, because when turning fire, physics, and realtree to "low" (I play those at "very high") I get only a 3% fps increase.

I am quite pleased with the performance gains when moving from 725 core to 820 core- my temps are still "only" hitting 73 at MAX after several runs of running the far cry 2 benchmark @ max (no AA) @ uber low fps. (unplayable- <20)

I'm going to go for 850mhz... I believe that should be stable as well- I ran a short benchmark at that speed already for a short time.

Going much higher than 850 is insta-crash... but that is expected... I wonder if a 20% oc is possible though- 875mhz.

4745454b

Titan
The 3650 uses DDR2, 500MHz I think is pretty much max for that. I'm not sure why you stop at 400, perhaps you have some lower DDR2. You can run the core as high as you can. It might help, but at some point your going to run into a memory bottleneck. If riva allows it, try upping the voltages a bit to help with your overclock.

I also hope your saving your money. Simply buying a more powerful card is way easier then what your trying to do. The 192bit 9600GSO should be enough to handle games at 1280x1024, the 4670 would do fine as well. (both of these are probably under $80.)