[SOLVED] Stupid Fan Curve

Nicklas

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013
Got a Z390-F and I am furious about my fan curves, cant get them right
If I set them to "silent" or any other mode, my fans spins up like crazy when I start any program or something, and then instantly goes down again
What damn setting and where is it to change this? I dont care if my temps go to 80 degrees, I WANT MY COMPUTER SILENT
I already tried custom fan curve and dragged it all to lowest/off but since BIOS overrides when it comes to 70 degrees, it instead puts itself to 80% no matter what, cant change the curve at that degree

I just now tried setting everything manually, but no matter what BIOS override any setting and forces my fans to 100% as soon as my CPU hits 70 celcius!! I cannot change the curve exactly how I want

Tried setting lowest fan speed to Ignore too but no difference

Solution
Ok, so we really need to know the model of all fans, or at least which of them are 3 pin DC controlled (Likely the fans that came with the case ARE) and which ones are PWM 4 pin controlled. The Noctua fans could go either way as they sell both styles and the CPU cooler fans are MOST LIKELY 4 pin PWM because most all CPU FAN headers have traditionally been PWM controlled for MANY years, even prior to PWM on chassis fan headers becoming a mainstream standard.

So, you still didn't explain whether it's all fans, only the case fans, only the CPU cooler fans, or what, that are not abiding by the fan curve or making weird noises, and for future reference, trying to stop your fans while they are running is a really bad idea. It's not good for...
So, the first thing we need to determine is what fans we are talking about. Are we talking about the CPU cooler fans, or the case fans, or both?

What are the models of all fans? You do realize that there is a HUGE, ENORMOUS difference in sound pressure levels between poor models (cheap or most "included" fan models that come with cases. Not all, but most) and good ones. Some (most) cheap fans might have sound pressure levels of anywhere between 30-40db at full speed while good ones might, on average, have SPL anywhere between 25-30, with very good ones being even lower between 18-25 at full speed.

Having more fans than you actually need could be a problem too, although usually with a three intake two exhaust configuration most cases are able to create an exchange rate that allows full exchange every two seconds or so even at low speeds, and multiple full exchanges at high or medium speeds.

How MANY fans do you have? Where, exactly, are they mounted and exactly how is EACH of them oriented, as intake or as exhaust, for each location?

It would also help to know what CPU cooler and case you have, as well as what CPU, motherboard, memory kit and graphics card?

Nicklas

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013
So, the first thing we need to determine is what fans we are talking about. Are we talking about the CPU cooler fans, or the case fans, or both?

What are the models of all fans? You do realize that there is a HUGE, ENORMOUS difference in sound pressure levels between poor models (cheap or most "included" fan models that come with cases. Not all, but most) and good ones. Some (most) cheap fans might have sound pressure levels of anywhere between 30-40db at full speed while good ones might, on average, have SPL anywhere between 25-30, with very good ones being even lower between 18-25 at full speed.

Having more fans than you actually need could be a problem too, although usually with a three intake two exhaust configuration most cases are able to create an exchange rate that allows full exchange every two seconds or so even at low speeds, and multiple full exchanges at high or medium speeds.

How MANY fans do you have? Where, exactly, are they mounted and exactly how is EACH of them oriented, as intake or as exhaust, for each location?

It would also help to know what CPU cooler and case you have, as well as what CPU, motherboard, memory kit and graphics card?

I tried stopping them by hand and it appears some (or all of them) the included fans for my case is making some weird noise

Okay so model of fans are Noctua, unsure of exactly what model, the chassi is R6 Define, and comes with three included fans.

In total I have 7 fans
Two intake stock, two on top Noctua, one in the back stock, and two on the CPU cooler Pure Rock
Well 8 with the PSU fan but its turned off

Front intake, top exhaust and back exhaust, and on CPU its "straight through" where the exhaust is facing towards the back exhaust fan

i5 9600k @ 4.9Ghz
Z390-F MB
32GB RAM
RTX 2080 Super

I do have in plan to replace the stock fans with presumebly Noctua (they are the quiest yes?) this coming BF at end of November

Ok, so we really need to know the model of all fans, or at least which of them are 3 pin DC controlled (Likely the fans that came with the case ARE) and which ones are PWM 4 pin controlled. The Noctua fans could go either way as they sell both styles and the CPU cooler fans are MOST LIKELY 4 pin PWM because most all CPU FAN headers have traditionally been PWM controlled for MANY years, even prior to PWM on chassis fan headers becoming a mainstream standard.

So, you still didn't explain whether it's all fans, only the case fans, only the CPU cooler fans, or what, that are not abiding by the fan curve or making weird noises, and for future reference, trying to stop your fans while they are running is a really bad idea. It's not good for the motor and you're very likely to break or damage the fan blades. Putting the system to sleep, then holding whichever fan blade you want stopped with your fingers or a pencil (or something similar) and then waking the system from sleep, is the way to isolate which fan is making noise. If the fans are making noises now that they were not before you stopped them by hand while (While running I assume, if not, then my mistake) then it's probably BECAUSE you stopped them while running. It's also not good to keep a fan that is being powered and wants to run, stopped, for more than a second or two, because again it is very bad for the motor.

Solution

Nicklas

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013
Okay, I understand its not good for the motor to do it "often" but I only done it once since I bought the chassi, which is two years now

I dont have any brand name on the stock fans, doesnt say anywhere on info really

I will need to open the case up and watch for the fans where they are connected, it doesnt seem that I can steer the front fans at all

If I have two front fans, can I merge them into one fan header onto the MOBO and recognize them as one fan?