Stupid Laptop Thief iChats With Owner's Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Looks like the more people learn and start to rely on technology, the more they lose their common sense. I guess its good though, it'll prevent more people getting robbed by this dick-sleeve.

Not to mention that if this was a PC laptop, he could have just wiped the hard drive and re-installed windows, then this wouldn't have happened, just sayin...

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
HHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA this reminds me of what happened to me a couple of weeks ago!!!!: A guy came into the computer store (I worked vacation job), and stole a netbook... of EVERYTHING he could steal, a cheap 300euro netbook...

anyways hes stupid in the way that he was walking around for 20 minutes, rejecting any assistance, just looking around, whilst there were 16 camera's pointed straight at him...

He threatened me not to go after him, so I called the cops on him... he was on a bicicle, in the middle of a busy city, with cops around every corner... too bad they didn't catch him then though...

afterwards we took the images to the police and they instantly recognised the guy, and went to pick him up! They knew where he lived! gotta love CCTV facial recognition!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
This should be a standard security feature for all laptops, regardless of OS or manufacturer.
If it is stolen you can go to a website on another machine, login, report as stolen and the next time the machine gets booted up it starts recording everything, its GPS location, the network it is connected to, audio & video recording, everything.
It needs to be embedded in the mobo somehow, not on the hard drive, so even a reformat or reinstall wont protect the thief.

mresseguie

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]This should be a standard security feature for all laptops, regardless of OS or manufacturer.If it is stolen you can go to a website on another machine, login, report as stolen and the next time the machine gets booted up it starts recording everything, its GPS location, the network it is connected to, audio & video recording, everything.It needs to be embedded in the mobo somehow, not on the hard drive, so even a reformat or reinstall wont protect the thief.[/citation]

There is at least one software company, Absolute, located in Canada which makes just such software. It is very effective and doesn't get wiped if the HD is reformatted.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mresseguie[/nom]There is at least one software company, Absolute, located in Canada which makes just such software. It is very effective and doesn't get wiped if the HD is reformatted.[/citation]
I have seen similar things for "lo-jacking" a laptop via software, but it should just be automatic, direct from the factory rather that being down to the customer.

schm1tty

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
[citation][nom]sokrin[/nom]are you serious? you can easily wipe out a MAC or change its administrator's password with a OSX cd.[/citation]
IF this kid is dumb enough to video chat with his stolen mac's friends, how would he know something like that? Or anything about computers that doesn't involve farmville or facebook?

sokrin

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]schm1tty[/nom]IF this kid is dumb enough to video chat with his stolen mac's friends, how would he know something like that? Or anything about computers that doesn't involve farmville or facebook?[/citation]
i was referring to jonpaul37's comment:

"Not to mention that if this was a PC laptop, he could have just wiped the hard drive and re-installed windows, then this wouldn't have happened, just sayin..."

basically stating that it's not possible to wipe out a mac *roll eyes*

Status
Not open for further replies.