Question stupid mistake, psu plug arcing

Jul 31, 2019
Greetings people of the world. I'm seeking advice on what to do next with my system.

Silly me plugged the psu power cable into the psu socket while the other end of the cable was already in a surge protector that was in the wall and on, which should be fine if i had my psu switch off, right? I unfortunately forgot to do so, psu switch was on and arcing occured in the psu plug (i think) When i slowly reconnected the cable as it requires a bit of force to get it in there i heard a buzzing/cracking noise that stopped once the cable was fully in the psu plug. During all of this, the system was off, not running. It was just the psu switch that was on.

Now the system works fine, what i'm worried about is what i've discovered when i decided to check on the cable and the psu plug - receptacle in the power cable had a tiny little burn mark only on the N side (cable wasn't hot or anything, no smoke, no burned plastics, just the tiny little black-ish mark in the receptacle) Same thing in the PSU plug on the same side. I happen to have some psu cables laying around so i switched the "burned" cable for one with nice clean receptacles (this time connected it properly with the psu switch off) and the system is working both idle & under load (it worked even with the first cable after the arcing) So now the issue is the burnt/deformed mark on one of the 3 pins that are in the PSU plug. It's barely noticeable, i had to look at it from close distance with a flashlight. Unfortunately i do not have a camera on me right now that could focus on such a little thing to show you guys, but i found a google pic of a psu plug and highlighted the "burnt/deformed" area, this is approx how big it is :

View: https://imgur.com/a/Oo6UBSB

The psu itself is the 850 watt version of this model : https://seasonic.com/prime-ultra-gold#

Both the PSU and the system it's powering are a week old, no issues. (9900k & 2080ti)

Do i keep the power supply or do i slap myself twice and buy a new one? what are the dangers of keeping it? Thank you in advance

Jul 31, 2019
Are you guys sure? i just want to protect the rest of the components at all cost. There is no chance that this could cause problems in the future? and if it does, how severe? will the psu go out by itself, or will it take something with it? i'm glad 3 people agreed that it is fine, but it somehow doesn't look fine to me. I understand i might be a little too paranoid about the new system, but i wanna rule out any possibilities that might damage it.

I dont think any damage would occour. The power arced from the cord to the psu imput.

If it was the output arcing id figure the ocp would prevent damage.
Ocp is a lifesaver. I have an old dell psu turned into a lab bench psu. I accidentially shorted the 12v rail to the bare metal casing if the psu, which is grounded. The ocp tripped and stopped a fire.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Are you guys sure? i just want to protect the rest of the components at all cost. There is no chance that this could cause problems in the future? and if it does, how severe? will the psu go out by itself, or will it take something with it? i'm glad 3 people agreed that it is fine, but it somehow doesn't look fine to me. I understand i might be a little too paranoid about the new system, but i wanna rule out any possibilities that might damage it.
I can't speak for others, but yes, I for one am sure. Of course I wasn't there to see what you actually did. But from your description, it would seem all that happened was that the plug and socket drew an arc during connection due to the PSU being on and its capacitors charging and the transformer producing an inductive load.