Stupid newbie question

After wanting one for a long time, I've finally decided to take the
plunge and buy a DVD burner now instead of waiting for the dual layer
models to come out. But there's one question I have:

What's the difference in +R and -R? Is one better than the other? If
so, which and why?

TIA!

Larc

"Larc" <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote in message
> After wanting one for a long time, I've finally decided to take the
> plunge and buy a DVD burner now instead of waiting for the dual layer
> models to come out. But there's one question I have:
>
> What's the difference in +R and -R? Is one better than the other? If
> so, which and why?
>
> TIA!
>
> Larc

There are double layer DVD burners avail. I'm getting
a NEC 2510A delivered Monday, from Newegg. It cost
me $92.99 with free shipping. The problem is there is virtually
no media avail., certainly none at a reasonable price.

If you are getting or replacing one now, it makes some since
to "future proof" your purchase by getting something that will be
able to "do the new thing". If you can hold out until the dust
settles, and pick a better drive, that might be wiser. I guess it's
"Fools (like me) rush in", there could be early adopter remorse,
but it wouldn't be the first time.

Luck;
Ken

Rich

"Larc" <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote in message
<snips>

> What's the difference in +R and -R? Is one better than the other? If
> so, which and why?
>
> TIA!
>
> Larc

DVD-R/W was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with
standalone DVD Players.
DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 93% of all
DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD-RW is a rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 79% of all
DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD-R/W supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double
sided 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).

DVD+R and DVD+RW
DVD+R/W has some "better" features than DVD-R/W such as lossless linking and
both CAV and CLV writing.
DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 88% of all
DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD+RW is a rewritable format and is compatible with about 79% of all DVD
Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD+R/W supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double
side 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).

More info at:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

Rich

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 11:03:12 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

| There are double layer DVD burners avail. I'm getting
| a NEC 2510A delivered Monday, from Newegg. It cost
| me $92.99 with free shipping. The problem is there is virtually
| no media avail., certainly none at a reasonable price.

Thanks, Ken. That's great! I didn't realize any were actually
available yet. Since I'm assuming they can handle single layer DVDs
as well, you're right that it makes sense to go with the newer thing.

Frankly, I'm surprised the beginning price is so low. I expected dual
layer burners to be quite a bit more expensive than single layer.

Larc

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 16:29:52 GMT, "Rich" <rich_sanchez@usa.com> wrote:

| DVD-R/W was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with
| standalone DVD Players.
| DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 93% of all
| DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
| DVD-RW is a rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 79% of all
| DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
| DVD-R/W supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double
| sided 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
|
| DVD+R and DVD+RW
| DVD+R/W has some "better" features than DVD-R/W such as lossless linking and
| both CAV and CLV writing.
| DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 88% of all
| DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
| DVD+RW is a rewritable format and is compatible with about 79% of all DVD
| Players and most DVD-ROMs.
| DVD+R/W supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double
| side 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
|
| More info at:
|
| http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

Thanks, Rich. That tells me exactly what I needed to know.

Larc

Larc wrote:
> After wanting one for a long time, I've finally decided to take the
> plunge and buy a DVD burner now instead of waiting for the dual layer
> models to come out. But there's one question I have:
>
> What's the difference in +R and -R? Is one better than the other? If
> so, which and why?

No need to worry about it. Most new burners are dual format. And as has
been mentioned, newer dual layer jobs are becoming available.

Gary Eickmeier

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

they are just two different formats. like vhs and the old betamax tapes. it
would probably be best to buy a dual format burner. they burn either + or -
..Different formats play on differnt players.

[question about DVD+R vs. DVD-R]

"George" wrote ...
> they are just two different formats. like vhs and the old betamax tapes.

Not exactly. VHS and Betamax were quite different physically,
and were never interchangable.

OTOH, DVD+R and DVD-R are physically (and visibly) identical.
And many devices read and/or write both.