Stupid question about undumped samples...

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

OK, this is silly, and I really should know this, but....

How do MAMEDev know the size of the samples before they are dumped?
obviously MAME expects these files based on CRC's or something, but if
they are undumped how do you know the size?
--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...

MCR schrieb:
> OK, this is silly, and I really should know this, but....
>
> How do MAMEDev know the size of the samples before they are dumped?
> obviously MAME expects these files based on CRC's or something, but if
> they are undumped how do you know the size?

Samples don't have size entries in MAME's database.

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Roman Scherzer wrote:
> MCR schrieb:
>
>> OK, this is silly, and I really should know this, but....
>>
>> How do MAMEDev know the size of the samples before they are dumped?
>> obviously MAME expects these files based on CRC's or something, but if
>> they are undumped how do you know the size?
>

> Samples don't have size entries in MAME's database.

Ahhhh.... Thanks Roman, I *knew* you'd be the one to answer that one. I
assumed as much to be honest, but I wasnt sure..

Can I assume it just looks for the correct name under the game path in
the samples folder? Me imagines me going 'pow pow pow' to galaga ;-)

--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:45:17 +0100, MCR <mcr@lazarusnospam.org.uk>
wrote:

>OK, this is silly, and I really should know this, but....
>
>How do MAMEDev know the size of the samples before they are dumped?
>obviously MAME expects these files based on CRC's or something, but if
>they are undumped how do you know the size?

Back and asking the questions others are afraid to ask ;-)

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

PRoToCoL wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:45:17 +0100, MCR <mcr@lazarusnospam.org.uk>
> wrote:
>

>>OK, this is silly, and I really should know this, but....
>>
>>How do MAMEDev know the size of the samples before they are dumped?
>>obviously MAME expects these files based on CRC's or something, but if
>>they are undumped how do you know the size?
>

> Back and asking the questions others are afraid to ask ;-)

:) To be honest, it was one of the first thoughts that popped into my
head when I read about the samples... That or ol' Rossi was keeping it
to himself with his bootleg rafelesia :)

On 2005-04-12, MCR <mcr@lazarusnospam.org.uk> wrote:
> Can I assume it just looks for the correct name under the game path in
> the samples folder? Me imagines me going 'pow pow pow' to galaga ;-)

Yes, the only information on samples in the mame source is the file
name, nothing else. That cames from the facts that samples aren't
dumped (i.e. extracted from a digital storage device) but recorded.
As such there is no reference version (and sample dats are beyond
stupid).

That's also why we push for the discrete system. Since it describes
(or tries to) the actual workings of the analog setup, it is a
reference. Having it actually produce sound is almost a side effect :)

OG.