sandmannight

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I was planning on buying an opteron 165 and I wanted to play World of Warcraft but I had not heard of people playing it on a opteron. I know this is probably a stupid question but does WoW work on an opteron and does it work well or does it not even matter and I am stupid lol?

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I was planning on buying an opteron 165 and I wanted to play World of Warcraft but I had not heard of people playing it on a opteron. I know this is probably a stupid question but does WoW work on an opteron and does it work well or does it not even matter and I am stupid lol?
There are no stupid questions, but there are stupid people.
Why don't you try find infor on www.blizzard.com, I am sure you will find the answer there for sure, and there are a lot of discussions here about the abilities of the Opteron processors for gaming and other things.

To expand a bit more: an Opteron is a chip that has gone through a much more intensive testing and certification process than a 'standard' Athlon 64. It is a server chip, and servers are used to manage WoW's world - there are probably a few opterons-based rigs amongst these servers, so yes, an opteron should run WoW reliably.

If it doesn't work, you've wired it backwards :p

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah, that's definately not a stupid question by any means :wink:

I have an opteron 165 and I play WOW, COH/COV, FEAR, Farcry, Thief etc. and they all play very well on it.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
I think if opteron runs windows then you'll be able to play on it.
I heard once that blizzard was acquiring some 200 or something opteron servers for WoW, so that's not "a few" servers :p

There. Direct from a tester.

Frankly, provided you're running Windows (which runs only on Pentium-class 100% compatible processors), you should have no problems.

AFAIK, there are even Linux users using Wine who can play WoW pretty well, so it may not be that picky about the platform anyway...