aomdmm

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
So I've tried searching around for this answer and I can't seem to find it, seems like a stupid question but I guess I've got to ask it sooner or later.

I've got an old gateway, by old I mean I bought it in late 2002, and I'm looking to make some upgrades here and there as my budget allows. Something I need to know though I can't seem to find!

What CPU chipset was used in '02 by intel? I know Intel uses LGA775 now, but was that out then or was it still the socket 478?

Also to confirm any memory upgrades would require a DDR 187 pin right?

Thanks!

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
If you give us some specs or a model number we should be able to look it up on the gateway web site and tell you some thing about it and if you can upgrade it at all but..................it prob aint worth it.

aomdmm

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
The real thing I need to know is what CPU socket it used... I would like to purchase a new mobo and was looking at getting : GA-N650SLI-DS4

But I wanted to see if the processor would work temporarily until I could buy a new one of those too...

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Well, more the reason to get us some more info on what system you have...a model number, system specs (would be the most helpful), etc.

Otherwise, without that stuff, none of us can tell you what you are able to do with that system.

Not trying to be picky, but that's all we're asking for. If you don't know how to get info on your comp, we can help you with that too. There are many ways of telling what your comp is. One way is right clicking on "my computer" (not the shortcut) and hitting "properties" ..get us that info along with the model number, and we can most likely steer you towards an answer right away.

T.

aomdmm

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
System Model E-4000
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~1999 Mhz

I tried searching that processor on google and Intel with no luck...

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
based upon Gateway info, it looks like it's socket 478. you may be able to put a faster socket 478 processor in it but it may be hard to find and I doubt you'll get much bang for the buck.

your best bet would be to double the ram, you should be able to put PC3200 memory in it.

a non-Gateway motherboard will probably not fit properly in that case so changing out the mobo is not a good solution.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
To view your computer’s serial number or check your specifications in
Windows XP, click Start, Help and Support, then click My Computer Info.

aomdmm

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
That is more or less my system yes. Looks like the right case anyway ;)

As to the socket information, socket 478.. damn, was hoping for an easy money saving temporary fix... oh well... thanks guys!