Stupid Questions for experienced players

I've started playing explore mode games (sick and tired of YASDs)
and I have two questions:
1)I luckily poly'ed my pet into a mind flayer. It keeps doing some sort
of brain thingy on me (the wording of which i've temporarily forgotten)
and it has no effect. what is it trying to do?
2)Whilst hallucinating, I was dipping my unicorn horn into unknown
potions to see if they were bad ones etc, when I dipped it into a
'swirly' potion, and the two combined and formed a can of grease. Could
someone tell me what possibily happened here?
thanks

s3053974@student.rmit.edu.au wrote:

> I've started playing explore mode games (sick and tired of YASDs)
> and I have two questions:
> 1)I luckily poly'ed my pet into a mind flayer. It keeps doing some sort
> of brain thingy on me (the wording of which i've temporarily forgotten)
> and it has no effect. what is it trying to do?

It's a mind attack that, if the mind flayer were hostile, would damage you.

> 2)Whilst hallucinating, I was dipping my unicorn horn into unknown
> potions to see if they were bad ones etc, when I dipped it into a
> 'swirly' potion, and the two combined and formed a can of grease. Could
> someone tell me what possibily happened here?

SPOILER ALERT!!!

It was a potion of polymorph. It polymorphed your unicorn horn into a
different type of tool, in this case a can of grease.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Evelyn the dog, having undergone further modification, pondered the
significance of short-person behavior in pedal-depressed panchromatic
resonance and other highly ambient domains... "Arf", she said.

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> s3053974@student.rmit.edu.au wrote:
> > 1)I luckily poly'ed my pet into a mind flayer. It keeps doing some
sort
> > of brain thingy on me (the wording of which i've temporarily
forgotten)
> > and it has no effect. what is it trying to do?
>
> It's a mind attack that, if the mind flayer were hostile, would
damage you.

Awww! They're so cute when they do that! I have a Nethack-playing
friend who loves telling stories about the pet mind flayer she had and
its tentacle massage....

- John H.

s3053974@student.rmit.edu.au writes:

> I've started playing explore mode games (sick and tired of YASDs)
> and I have two questions:
> 1)I luckily poly'ed my pet into a mind flayer. It keeps doing some sort
> of brain thingy on me (the wording of which i've temporarily forgotten)
> and it has no effect. what is it trying to do?

The equivalent of cuddling, I think. If it were hostile,
it would instaed launch a psyonic attack (not subject to
MR, btw) hurting you.

> 2)Whilst hallucinating, I was dipping my unicorn horn into unknown
> potions to see if they were bad ones etc, when I dipped it into a
> 'swirly' potion, and the two combined and formed a can of grease. Could
> someone tell me what possibily happened here?

Potion of polymorph.

Best,
Jakob

The equivalent of cuddling, I think.
Aww, cute.
Thanks guys-I didn't even realise that there was a potion of Polymorph
in the game.I'll be a little bit more careful now

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> s3053974@student.rmit.edu.au wrote:
>
> > I've started playing explore mode games (sick and tired of YASDs)
> > and I have two questions:
> > 1)I luckily poly'ed my pet into a mind flayer. It keeps doing some
sort
> > of brain thingy on me (the wording of which i've temporarily
forgotten)
> > and it has no effect. what is it trying to do?
>
> It's a mind attack that, if the mind flayer were hostile, would
damage you.

Mind you wilst recently playing a monk, I got a message of something
like "you feel a psychic pulse" or whatever the message is that warns
you that mindflayers are around followed by "It feels mildly soothing".
Why on earth does it feel soothing? At the time I had warning,
telepathy, and helm of brilliance (as well as many other things). Any
ideas?

"Marky Mark" <mdmota@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> > s3053974@student.rmit.edu.au wrote:
> >
> > > 1)I luckily poly'ed my pet into a mind flayer. It keeps doing some
> > > sort of brain thingy on me (the wording of which i've temporarily
> > > forgotten) and it has no effect. what is it trying to do?
> >
> > It's a mind attack that, if the mind flayer were hostile, would
> > damage you.
>
> Mind you wilst recently playing a monk, I got a message of something
> like "you feel a psychic pulse" or whatever the message is that warns
> you that mindflayers are around followed by "It feels mildly soothing".
> Why on earth does it feel soothing?

Because the mind flayer isn't hostile, as Benjamin wrote. Note that,
while it says "feels mildly soothing", it doesn't actually do anything;
and it happens no matter if the mf is peaceful or hostile.

Richard

TRENDING THREADS