Stupid wireless mouse causes BSOD?

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
I have been having issues with an older HP unit I use mostly as an spare/office computer/ second computer to use during gameplay on my main system. I have had several BSOD's and I kept hearing the tone telling me some hardware was connecting and disconnecting. There were other things going on such as slow starts, slow connections to the net, and trying to find drivers, and yes, the BSOD.. I started troubleshooting, disconnecting everything outside the case (printers, etc) but issue continued. I looked at the device manager, and it was opening and closing rapidly.

One thing I noticed was that was it seemed to be searching for a driver for the mouse nonstop. The mouse seemed to be working but what if...? I dug out and old wired mouse, hooked it up and all the issues quit!

Is this possible that a bad receiver for a simple wireless mouse can wreak so much havoc throughout the whole system? And yes, I tried replacing the battery in the mouse and plugging the receiver into different ports...same results.

Thanks

Solution
if the mouse is constantly trying to install it might lead to a crash. Drivers can cause stuff like that especially if they go into an infinite loop.
Just try not using the mouse for a while, and if you re-plug it and crashes again then you would know for sure. Best to try another usb slot and see if it keeps happening. You can also check what caused the blue screen in device manager, but I think you are already on the right track, and the solution is to not use the that mouse, or perhaps try it on another PC. It might work there. You might also be able to do a firmware update on the mouse or download its drivers from the manufacturer's site to fix this issue.

gaborbarla

Distinguished
if the mouse is constantly trying to install it might lead to a crash. Drivers can cause stuff like that especially if they go into an infinite loop.
Just try not using the mouse for a while, and if you re-plug it and crashes again then you would know for sure. Best to try another usb slot and see if it keeps happening. You can also check what caused the blue screen in device manager, but I think you are already on the right track, and the solution is to not use the that mouse, or perhaps try it on another PC. It might work there. You might also be able to do a firmware update on the mouse or download its drivers from the manufacturer's site to fix this issue.

Solution