Question Stutter due to high temps

May 13, 2019
Hello,

I have an issue that is driving me a little crazy... My CPU is an 8 Core and normally runs around 63-70°C on most games and programs. But with some specific games, especially when i actually have all 8 Cores active, it just starts stuttering at 70° (to cool it down again from what i can tell and know).

Firstly: I have no idea how to change or even stop this stutter - I was considering if it was actually thermal throtteling, but the system does not really slow down... it just seems to be set to this temp value by system default.

Secondly: I know this CPU can work with up to 80° just fine, had that happen before. Even though i got a better cooling system (water cooling) since then and want to avoid these temps it would actually work just fine

Thirdly: The PC seems to change the actual values of "overheat warning" around all the time - sometimes it was at 70, in the beginning it was around 80-83, then it was 63 at one point, and then back to 70... very very strange. I do not have the deepest Windows knowledge, but it is clear to me that this is a value that can be changed and is actually changed by the PC drivers after new hardware is installed or new programs get installed - but i would not know how or why or when or where to change or even find this value...

This issue happens the most with Warhammer Vermintide 2 (I used to be able to play that pretty much okay, even very well on high graphics or low, does not matter) and recently Sekiro, sometimes Starcraft 2 (but that happens very rarely now).

I have reinstalled my OS and Drivers and tried various ways to actually have a positive impact - even went as far as not fully using the 8 Cores individually, but more like a Quad Core (at least that is how i understand the BIOS OC tweaks) - currently it is set to 6 cores.

So - does anyone know what settings or even commands could help to stop this stutter? I would also be okay with some workaround.

Here are some of the main Stats:

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (6 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Card name: Radeon RX 580 Series

(taken from DxDiag Report, if any more info is needed i can provide)

Many thanks if you read this and try to help

Cassandra

May 13, 2019
So looking at AMDs website https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-8350 the max temp for your CPU is 61 degrees Celsius. Meaning you need to either reapply thermal paste to your cooler or get a better cooler.

Yes, that is what I thought too - so i have gotten this cooler, after checking some info on it first, it should be able to handle it:

Enermax Liqmax II 240 AMD AM4 Version

I also removed and reapplied the thermal paste once, even got a friend to help me with that

Best way to measure FX CPU temps is using AMD Overdrive to measure thermal margin. Higher is better, if you're getting close to 0 or negative you're overheating.

Also, what motherboard?

Could you explain to me how that would work? I am not really into overdriving or overclocking stuff, i would just like it to work properly most of the time

The motherboard is: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 M80-A9005601029

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
It's just a piece of software. Install it and go to the CPU status monitoring page and see what thermal margin is while under load. If you don't have any sort of CPU stress test download cinebench, or Prime95 v26.6 (run the "small FFTs" test).

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/amd-overdrive

Edit: Your motherboard VRMs could also be overheating. ASRock states that to run a 125W CPU like an 8350 you need to use a top down blowing cooler to provide airflow over the VRMs.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970 Pro3 R2.0/#CPU

May 13, 2019
It's just a piece of software. Install it and go to the CPU status monitoring page and see what thermal margin is while under load. If you don't have any sort of CPU stress test download cinebench, or Prime95 v26.6 (run the "small FFTs" test).

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/amd-overdrive

Edit: Your motherboard VRMs could also be overheating. ASRock states that to run a 125W CPU like an 8350 you need to use a top down blowing cooler to provide airflow over the VRMs.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970 Pro3 R2.0/#CPU

I have tried the benchmarking and used the AMD Overdrive and noticed that my CPU seems to be overclocked by default - went into the BIOS and disabled the AMD optimized OC, reenabled the 8 Cores and now it is not going over 70°C - maximum is 68°C while playing Vermintide for 1 h (which normally caused overheat immediatly). The thermal margin is around 20-30, so from what you told me that is pretty good.

I will have to see if this is stable or keeps going into overheat after long times of usage

Btw, would'nt the VRMs kinda show up in the system tepmerature sensor? I am using Speedfan to check the temps and the system never goes over 41°C, even under long heavy load

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
20-30 is the lowest thermal margin you see on any core while under load? Then yes, that is good.

Not all motherboards will have a VRM temp sensor. Is there any temperature labelled "VRM"? Can also try using hwinfo64 (run "sensors only"), it usually has a pretty extensive list of all sensors in your system.

May 13, 2019
20-30 is the lowest thermal margin you see on any core while under load? Then yes, that is good.

Not all motherboards will have a VRM temp sensor. Is there any temperature labelled "VRM"? Can also try using hwinfo64 (run "sensors only"), it usually has a pretty extensive list of all sensors in your system.

Good info, i will do that.

Yes 20-30 is the lowest with these settings (highes 50) - before the lowest was 10

edit: no VRM sensor, but 3 system internal (judging by the name SYSTIN1-3) and one CPU (PCEI) sensor.

Well if the VRMs are overheating, why does the CPU temp of 70 °C cause the PC to start stutter (to cool it quickly)? I mean, the VRMs should not cause the CPU to heat up faster, or do they?

Last edited:
May 13, 2019
Hmm, yeah that does sound like overheating. When you saw the thermal margin of 20-30, was that just alt-tabbing out of a game to check? Or were you running the game/Prime95 in a window next to Overdrive and watching the thermal margin concurrently?

I was playing and on the secoind screen i checked constantly - it sometimes dipped into the 10s and then back above it around 17-20. Guess the overclock of the ASRock Motherboard was no good for this CPU to prevent overheating, since it does work a lot better currently