Stutter every few seconds

hawkeye2604

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
I have a pretty powerful PC, with 7700k and 1080ti, and yet whatever game I play, at whatever resolution or settings, I get an FPS stutter every few seconds, to the point of making most feel unplayable.

If I play a game such as AC:Origins with v-sync and 60fps limit it happens at 4k resolution, dropping to 56 then back up to 60. So I lower resolution to 1440p or 1080p and get the exact same outcome. GPU temps are fine so it's not being overworked.

Same happens in Doom, Hitman, Far Cry 4 etc etc.

I thought it was a display issue, so I tried g-sync but still the same problem. Tried Doom out running at 144hz and it just kept dipping from 144 to 130 then back up. CPU usage was at approx 50%

I have tried clean boots of windows, along with DDU.

Just at a bit of a loss now as to what else to try!

Any ideas?

Solution
Download something like MSI Afterburner and slide the Power Limit bar and the Temperature bar all the way to the right. My guess is that the GPU is throttling it self and that it just needs a little more power to smooth some things out.

drbones8472

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Download something like MSI Afterburner and slide the Power Limit bar and the Temperature bar all the way to the right. My guess is that the GPU is throttling it self and that it just needs a little more power to smooth some things out.

Solution

hawkeye2604

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016

Quite a few things to be honest. Asus GPU tweak, Asus AI Suite, Nvidia inspector. Will check settings and try