Stutter/freeze with any AA

rtil

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
I have a Radeon HD 3850. Enabling AA on any game, any amount, and at random frequences the card will stop responding, sending the game into a stutter freeze. this will go on for about 30 seconds, the card will reset and sometimes the game will be restored, sometimes not. I know it is AA because I have had AA off for months after experiencing this. i turned it on again today and it has been happening all day. Any other setting, it doesn't matter. Just AA.

I have upgraded drivers, updated my BIOS, switched from full screen to windowed, checked for overheating - i just don't know. I am totally lost for solutions and don't know where to even look anymore.

rtil

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010

I have always had it set to use application settings. In fact, I don't let CCC control any of those settings.

Also does it give you any errors when it freezes ?
Well, when I have error reporting on in CCC, it asks me to send a report to ATI, but then it wants to send it with outlook instead of via the error reporting app (lol).

All I know is that if AA is on in any way, the card will stop responding and take about a minute to reset.

Even recently, I don't even have to be playing a game or doing anything GPU intensive. Four times this week the card stopped responding while browsing the internet. Is my card dying now?

rtil

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
i have taken a video of what happens to my card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jmEj8rNRNU

@ 23 seconds is when it begins. @ 34 seconds the screen goes black (the video did not reflect this). @ 39 seconds the ATI error message would come up about the card not responding and had been reset. sometimes the game would start up again, sometimes stay black.

rtil

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
even for just 1 video card? or in general?

also, i was monitoring temps last night while playing a game to see how hot the card really gets during AA gameplay. the card hit 112C and 110C twice before locking up. i am guessing this is could be a heat issue as well - i don't think the GPU should be running that hot? i have never gotten an aftermarket cooler for my video card before. any recommendations?

oops,sorry i was going to post that in another thread.Deleted it
Back to your question,well i did a search and it seems that maximum temp for a 3850under load is 90c(without an after market cooler), anything more than that isn't acceptable.Your temps are quite high so they maybe causing the problem.