Question Stutter in all games - ASUS Gaming Laptop

Apr 21, 2019
Hey guys,
I own a gaming laptop, ASUS GL553VE with 16GB RAM, i7 7700 cpu, 1050ti nvidia card etc. which is around 1 and a half year old and i started having issues around one year ago. I´m gonna use the Rainbow Six Siege as an example, because i played it then and i try to play it now. Before, the game run smoothly on 80 fps on medium to high settings on 1920x1080 resolution, no drops nor stuttering. Since the problem started, the game ran badly and was impossible to play. I set the settings to low, but no improvement was visible. I suspected windows update, so i rerolled, but with no effect. I downloaded latest drivers for graphics & sound card, I changed the windows settings for battery usage, I upgraded the firmware offered by asus, i checked cpu throttling, but nothing helped. If you think that it was caused by R6S, it was not - CSGO ran as badly as any other game. So I reinstalled Windows to the factory settings, installed the drivers, but nothing. A few months ago, I tried to lower the resolution of Rainbow Six to the lowest possible, and suprisingly - it ran smoothly. So I kept on testing - I set the settings on ultra - 60 fps without problems. Even though the game says that I use around 3900 / 4021MB graphics card memory on this settings, it works. On 1920x1080, the GPU usage was aroung 1000 / 4021MB with lags and stuttering. I´m definitely going to have the notebook checked by the dealer as soon as my schoolyear finishes, but I wanted to ask you for some opinions or tips maybe. Thank you in advance!

Apr 21, 2019
You've mentioned you've reinstalled Windows, but you didn't mention which version of the OS you're on. I would ask you to see if you have any BIOS updates pending for your laptop.
I´m on Windows 10, all the new upgrades are downloaded as soon as they are released. I upgraded the BIOS from the original asus website with drivers.

How full are your hard drives you game from? And which one do you use?
I use a harddrive C for Operating System, which is an SSD drive, and the used volume is 93/118 GB, and then there is the HDD drive D, on which the game is installed, and its 396/866 GB. I also have a dualboot Ubuntu installed on partitons of this drive.

Some clarification is needed here, I think...

So I reinstalled Windows to the factory settings
1) You reinstalled Windows (clean/full install), or you restored a factory image?

I downloaded latest drivers for graphics & sound card
2) From Asus, or the latest from the hardware vendor (i.e NVidia)?

And although I'm going to sound like a broken record: Did you ever check GeForce Experience, or test things with it uninstalled? What about your temps, what were they like?

Apr 21, 2019
Some clarification is needed here, I think...

1) You reinstalled Windows (clean/full install), or you restored a factory image?

2) From Asus, or the latest from the hardware vendor (i.e NVidia)?

And although I'm going to sound like a broken record: Did you ever check GeForce Experience, or test things with it uninstalled? What about your temps, what were they like?

1) I restored the factory image

2) Well, the dedicated gpu drivers from NVidia, integrated gpu drivers from Intel, soundcard from the vendor too, only the bios update was from the asus webpage i think

3) the GeForce Experience recommended settings for the game are on medium to high on high resolution, so I guess the hardware should be able to perform, but it doesnt. After the factory restore, I first tried to run the game with only Plug&Play Nvidia drivers, but no difference at all. I then downloaded the drivers, and then installed the GeForce Experience.

Drivers are in a bit of a transitional phase right now ("Standard" vs. "DCH"). With Intel you may not get the option, but NVidia offers it for Win 10. If you didn't try both, try uninstalling what you have now and then install the other type of driver - also make sure you're opting for the "Game Ready Driver."

I would also try uninstalling GeForce Experience (or use the "Custom (Advanced)" install option when installing the NVidia driver, un-select GeForce Experience and select "Clean installation").

And since your system does use Optimus, like what Fix_that_Glitch said, verify that your GPU is being utilized and/or not throttled. Any system monitoring software should tell you which is in use (HWiNFO64 is a good tool).