Stutter in all games

Fractal GPU

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016
i'm getting really bad performance in all games, i've tried Black ops 3, AC odyssey, AC origins, warframe and Dota 2, im getting expected framerates on warframe and Dota but they freeze every few seconds.

Could 3x4GB Ram sticks be the cause?

Specs:
i5 7500
RX 580 4GB
Gigabyte H270-HD3 mobo
3x4GB DDR4 Ram
250GB WD Black NVMe ssd for OS
4x1TB HDD's
550W Thermaltake PSU

Fractal GPU

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016

The screen I use for gaming is connected through display port, the other 2 are on HDMI

While technically 3x4GB is not a good idea, that would in most cases NOT cause your problem.

What seems likely is CPU overheating. Check your CPU temps while gaming first. If they exceed 85C while gaming, you need to clean the heatsink, and even replace thermal paste if required. And if temps are still high after that, you might to consider a better CPU cooler or better case airflow.

Standard stuffs:
1. make sure you plug monitor cables only to the GPU and not to mainboard.
2. 3 RAM sticks is not really a good idea. You will have only single channel mode and the decrease in performance could be noticeable.
3. make sure your system is clean from unnecessary background running apps and viruses/malwares, etc.
4. make sure your processor and GPU are running on performance mode and not on energy saving mode.
5. make sure nothing is overheating (cpu+gpu)
6. make sure you have the latest drivers
7. if you see stutters only on online games, make sure your connection to that particular server is good.

Fractal GPU

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016

well that would explain it because im using the stock cooler with Arctic Mx-4

Fractal GPU

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016

ok so yeah I think this is the issue temps were at 94C!!
ill update this after I get a better cooler

Fractal GPU

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016

Turns out that wasn't it I got a new Liquid Cooler from Corsair and temps max out at 45-47C now but stutter and ocassional freezing remains...