[SOLVED] Stutter with consistent frametimes and high FPS

Sep 29, 2022
Possible dying GPU? If you focus on the terrain moving by you can see the rapid jittering and wiggling even while the frametimes in the top corner remain relatively consistent. This is with Gsync enabled with 142 fps cap. The problem is 10x worse without gsync/vssync.

CPU: 3800x
MB: ASUS TUF b550
GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3
Ram: Corsair 3200 8gbx2
SSD: WD Black nvme 1tb. 2 Samsung 500gb SSDs
PS: Corsair 850w
Monitor: Dell S2716DG 144hz Gsync

I haven't found a case like this in a couple years of troubleshooting as every stuttering issue always has corresponding frametime spikes. I have been upgrading parts in an effort to solve this problem. So far I have replaced everything but the GPU. Ive replaced CPU, mobo, Ram, PSU, power cables, video cables, tried different monitors. the issue persists. Cant be a power issue as I moved houses recently.

I have followed every step of every guide I could find on the internet. Heres what Ive done so far that I can remember:

Reformatting Drives/Fresh OS install on each SSD
All analyzing software, ie memtest. DPC latency monitor, thermal throttling monitoring, GPUZ Perfcap reason
Disabling/modifying windows settings and background tasks, Game mode. GPU scheduling, DVR, fullscreen optimizations
Gsync/Vsync/ULMB on/off and every combination
Lowering monitor refresh rate to 120/60
Ram is different slots
BIOS updates & settings/ ie HPET, speedstep, XMP
DDU/Every GPU driver released in the past 4 years
Win 10 enterprise
Virtual memory/page file/indexing
Power states
Overclocking/underclocking
Disable defender
Intelligent list standby Cleaner

Unfortunately this problem started right when GPU market went to chaos. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
I think honestly the GPU is nearing end of life. With all those steps you've tried im assuming that's it. Did you try different cables and ports?

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Make sure you're not running vsync and gsync at the same time and make sure the power setting in both the Nvidia Control Panel and the Windows power settings are set to high performance, rather than balanced or adaptive.